Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window Issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bridgeguy, Sep 29, 2005.

1. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

I've searched and searched the forums and have come up with a lot of information about the problems I'm having with the rear window on my '74 K5, but I'm still having issues which maybe someone can help me with:

I've removed the access panel inside and the window is rolled all the way up still. From the outside, the handle just spins and spins which made me think that the :dunno: "ears" would be broken. Never actually seen them, just read about them. So, trying to remove the handle to see what I could figure out. Had the wife spin the handle while I was looking at the regulator from the inside and can see the rectangular notch on the inside of the regulator spinning, but nothing else appears to be happening.

Grabbed a 7/16" socket and could get to the nut holding (what I think is) the RH side of the exterior handle on (when looking towards the rear of the Blazer) but I can't get any access to the LH one. There appears to be an access hole in the tailgate sheetmetal, but that doesn't line up with anything on the regulator to allow access through the regulator.

Does anyone have a pearl of wisdom on what I'm doing wrong here? :ears:

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Here is the fun part, in order to access to the LH bolt, the window needs to be partially down. There is a hole in the reg that will line up and let you get a socket thru.

3. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

Ok...you wouldn't happen to know what size nut/bolt I'm going to be looking for in there, would you? :crazy: The nut/bolt for the socket to roll down the window, got the other one all figured out...I hope.

And, is this located further down on the tailgate or approximately at the same height as the handle assembly stuff?

Also, not to be too big a wuss, but I have a substantial fear of window regulators. Never actually been hurt by them but, read enough about the "guillotine" (sp?) effect and it breeds a healthy respect/fear of them in me.

Is there anything super stupid I can do (other than the obvious "wind it up and down and see if I can imprint the tooth patterns on my fingers")?