Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window leak on '77 Suburban

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bad Karma, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Registered Member

Well, not actually the rear window, but the fiberglass(?) filler piece that the rear window slides up into. The leak is happening where the body meets the filler piece. There is a gasket in there that must be deteriorating.

Anyway, how is that filler piece removed? Is that gasket available or will I just have to use silicone?

I would just tear into into, but I am afraid my window channels will disintegrate and who-knows-what-else will break.... :doah: I kinda want to know what's involved before I start.

Thanks.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you remove the window felt (screws are located at the bottom of those fiberglass pieces) there will be screws along the fiberglass pieces to remove them. As far as a new seal, you might check LMC. I honestly don't know if there is a replacement for that one or not. When I did mine, I just used a crap load of the 50yr exterior clear window chalking. Did this about 4 yrs ago and hasn't leaked since :thumb:

3. Bad Karma

Sounds good, thanks! I kinda figured the seal wouldn't be available anymore, but the caulk is a great idea. It's amazing how much water can sneak in through there, luckily it only rains once a year in Phoenix... :p:

4. Bad Karma

I was looking at the LMC catalog online, and on page 14, it shows the tailgate seals. Item 1, I always assumed was the window channel, but if you look closely at the picture, it appears to be the seal between the body and the fiberglass piece.

Anyone know for sure? Otherwise, it will cost me 40 bucks to find out... :laugh:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/0014.html

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

To me that looks like the actual window seal. You can always call their 1-800 number and ask to see for sure.