Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window lube

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Jun 21, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I just got a new motor for my rear window along with new seals. Now it doesn't want to go up all of the way without some help. I'm thinking the window molding seal which the window sits in might need some lubrications till they stretch out and break in. Anyone have any suggestions on something that won't wash away when it rains out?

-Chris

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, the new weather stripping is nice and tight. I used a little silicone spray on mine. It helped some.

3. jayccb

jayccb Registered Member

I was just in having some work done on my truck at the window place and he said that the rubber gets old and needs to be lubricated. He said to squirt a little oil in the track and that should loosen it up. I haven't tried it yet, because i forgot about it until just now.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I just got a new motor for my rear window along with new seals

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just in having some work done on my truck at the window place and he said that the rubber gets old and needs to be lubricated.

[/ QUOTE ]
    He said he has new seals, they're just a little tight. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I was in the same place. Don't lube just yet. Lube is a last resort. Try using the alignment bolts and get the glass to run where it is supposed to. This glass does/should have a curve that needs to be addressed.
    The best fix is to clean all of the electrical connectors. This includes at the Battery and starter. You might even want to take the glass out again and clean the switch in the gate.
    I don't mean that a light spray with WD40 will do the trick. Pull the connections apart and use a wire brush to clean them. These corroded connections cause a big resistance in the electrical system. (If you pay close attention you may notice that the stereo sounds better too.)
    My rear glass runs up and down at full speed now, no more worries on cold mornings.