Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window Motor 79 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerK5Bandit, Apr 14, 2006.

1. BlazerK5Bandit

BlazerK5Bandit Newbie

I have a 79 K5 Blazer. My rear window motor only goes down not up. I order a new part at the auto parts stores and they all go down but not up..They are OEM replacement parts too. Yes the window gears are in good working I should know had to roll the window back up by hand, not fun. Help please.

2. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

what part did you buy? if you bought just a new motor and it didn't go up i would say its the switch then. or that safety switch in the tailgate might be causing problems as well. all you do is bypass it.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's a safety switch built into the drivers side latch. It's to prevent rolling up the glass unless the tailgate is closed. Most likely the switch is bent. It's a STUPID design. There a metal extension on the switch, probably an inch and a half long. The switch is designed to go straight in and out, but the motion of the actuator arm on the latch is more of a pushing and wiping action. Over time it bends the metal arm of the switch out of the way. :mad:

To get to the switch, remove the inner panel, then carefully disconnect the rod that goes to the latch. Then remove the 4 screws that hold the latch to the gate and gently work the latch assembly out of the gate. Press the lever that unlocks the electrical connector and remove the connector. Now you can get the latch out of the gate and remove the 2 small screws that hold the switch to the latch. Look at how it works before you take it all the way apart and you'll see how the lever is not pushing the metal switch extension properly. It sort of pushes it to the side instead. Carefully bend the extension (without placing stress on the switch itself) until it lines up with the latch arm again. Reinstall the switch, plug it back into the harness, and reinstall the latch and linkage. Now when you close the tailgate, the window should roll up. Should be good for another 15 to 20 years. ;)

BTW, the easy way to roll up the window manually is to disconnect the drive cable at the motor, then attach a drill to the cable. :D