Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear window motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, May 30, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I just bought a 1986 K5 Blazer and I noticed that the rear window was kind of slow. Well a few days ago I went to roll the window back up and the window would not go up. It makes a clicking sound. Did I kill my motor? I noticed there was two motors :confused: for the window. One is under the glass and a little black box above the glass that has a cable and a few wires going to it.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

1 of those is the motor(longer blackish colored box) the other is called the transmission(roundish in shape)they are connected together by the cable. If you take the cable off the motor side and connect a drill motor to the cable you can at least get the window back up. Check and lube all the moving parts in there and tighten everything up and see if that helps before you start replacing things.

3. adamforsythe

Hey thanks for the help I will see what I can do. I never had a truck with power windows.
    Thanks
    Adam

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

LOL my 86 has a dead rear window too. I just keep a drill connected to cable, with the tailgate cover off...and when I want it up or down use the drill.....quick/cheap fix LOL

Brandy

5. adamforsythe

Is the motor a junk yard part. Or can I buy it new some where? I can't find one.
    Thanks
    Adam

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

lmc??

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The problem with getting one out of a yard is unless you test it on the spot, you go through all the work of pulling it outta the truck and you still don't know whether it's good or not. I'd pull the panel on the tailgate first and make sure that's actually the problem. I thought my window motor died but pulled it apart to find out that the track that supported the window had been bent and jammed itself in the tailgate.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

another issue is, its not always the motor. There are a lot of moving parts remember. I've heard of guys replacing the cable and the window worked as good as new. I used to take my cover off and grease the workings(slide, arms, etc.) of the window assembly monthly. I'd disconnect the cable from the motor, lithium grease on everything, and run the window up and down a few times. Also the weather stripping in the window slides has an effect on the function too. In my case, my motor was fine, it just had too much resistance to fight.

9. FastMaxx

FastMaxx Registered Member

I hope its the switch that went bad on mine (86 k5). The other day I let it down and it wouldnt go back up. It dont even click when I press ^. It clicks when I press down so I geuss its the switch. BTW it takes about 2 min. to let it down and about twice that to let it up. Its kinda sloooooooooow....
    Could you describe that drill thing a little more? thanks.

10. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Step 1: Take cable off motor.

Step 2: Insert into chuck.

Step 3: Do I need to say it? :D

11. rpellicer

rpellicer Registered Member

Can the cables be taken apart to be lubed? Also, can the channels on the side be adjusted? The bottom of the window smacks into the motor on the way up, and I have to push and guide the window so it clear.

12. adamforsythe

DAMN IT.

Well I took the panel ogg and hooked my drill up to the cable. I got the window up. Then for the hell of it I rolled the window back down and then it went UP. So I think I fixed it. But now my tailgate will not come down. If it's not one thing it's the other.
    Thanks
    Adam

13. xrmperformance

xrmperformance Newbie

cable & trans

I have a nice one off a low mileage truck for sale as well as tons of other parts. I had drems of rebuilding my k-5 some day so I bought a few @ auctions and took off all the good parts now I'm not sure if I can afford to even keep the truck and I want all the parts to be used before I have to give up the storage area and junk all the parts LMK if you need anything

Jeff
    xrmperformance@gmail.com

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

If your windows up the tailgate wont go down. (but I bet its not down when your trying it RIGHT?)

Leave the drill in the back you'll need it LOL (I bought a cheap one just for my window)