Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window Motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by '85K5Blazer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. '85K5Blazer

'85K5Blazer Newbie

The motor finally gave out on my tailgate glass so right now I cannot open the back of my Blazer. I would like to put a manual crank in place of it. Where can those parts be found and how much hassle/cost would be involved? I am sure this question has been asked a million times but I am new to the forums.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You sure it's the motor? I take it you've tried both the dash and key switches. There's a safety switch inside the tailgate on the driver's side latch that sometimes corrodes. You can bypass that (short the terminals) to see if it's bad. You can test the motor by hooking 12V directly to it. The plug on the motor has 2 terminals, both are for 12V+, each terminal makes the motor spin in opposite directions. The casing is ground. Which is stupid, because once the tailpan rusts at the hinges then there's a huge resistance which makes the motor run slowly or not at all. So a seperate ground wire to the frame would be best. Anyways, back to the motor. If the motor still doesn't run and you feel ambitious, you can take it apart, there's only 2 screws that hold it together along with some adhesive for weatherproofing. Sometimes the bearings run dry and seize up. Should be obvious if it's hard to spin the motor by hand. Just put some lube on the bronze bearing and shaft. Also spray some contact cleaner on the brushes and apply a thin layer of dielectric grease to them. Next check the motor windings with a DVM, they should be in the low ohm range (about 50 if I remember correctly). Also check the field winding on the inside of the case. Should have a similar reading.
    Other than that, if it's really FUBARed then send it my way. :thumb:

If you really want to convert to manual, then you need all the guts from a manual window. You can get them either at a salvage yard or LMC. LMC also shows a diagram of how it goes back together ... along with prices.

3. TheSunDanceKid

TheSunDanceKid Registered Member

well im not sure on a manual for that big of a window if you still cant get it working hmm id use like the same concept out of like a front window pretty much like siscor method i dunt know if a regualr manual window crank would hold the big of a piece of glass also think about trying to crank that thing up its pretty heavy for say a normal manual crank arm but i have seen a full universal kit at auto zone for not that much they also have the auto to its not that expensive you just got to have some time and be a little creative but before doing all that take the motor out and put 12volts to it see if it is that it might just be some small simple thing and could save you alot of work if it doesnt work perhaps find a jumer doesnt even ahve to be a sub theres some 90s SUV's that have them i think the bronco also has it junkyard it till you find a good one

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[quote='85K5Blazer]The motor finally gave out on my tailgate glass so right now I cannot open the back of my Blazer. I would like to put a manual crank in place of it. Where can those parts be found and how much hassle/cost would be involved? I am sure this question has been asked a million times but I am new to the forums.[/quote]

You can get all the parts you need new from Chevy Duty.Last Regulator I bought from there for a backglass/manual was I think $100? been a while:doah: Did you check to make sure it has power? 85's have circuit breaker in the top of the fuse block,pull it out and put a 30 amp fuse in and see if it works, can't hurt just to try it, at least that way you can get it rolled down.

5. shepdog

shepdog Registered Member

Hey I met you at your shop a while back. Have you ever replaced the roller and pin on the rear power window? I ordered a set from LMC and it doesn't look like it will fit right. I couldn't get the old pin off it seems like it is kind of riveted on there and the new part doesn't look to have a way to secure the back half.

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

:doah:

The burbs and Blazers came from the factory with manual rear windows. Power was an option or part of the upper dress type packages. I have manual in my 87 K5 and a power in my parts truck and if the tail gate is not latched as was posted it won't go up.

7. shepdog

sorry I was postin for Rockin K5

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a spare motor i believe sitting in the garage. Make me an offer if you want to fix what you have now.

9. shepdog

Hey rockin K5 I think I figured out the roller pin install on the rear window. Is the rivet designed to crush with a blow from a hammer or does it realy need to be crimped down with a hand clamping device?

10. shepdog

4x4 High are you the guy with the fuel injection unit that went to the referee station. I have an 86 Jimmy and I bought a 1985 camaroTPI setup. I would really like to see what smog equipment you needed and how you hooked it up. Did you have to change or add any equipment or was it virtually the same smog equip as the carb set up?

11. 4X4HIGH

First off let me state this makes 4000 post for me. :thumb:

No, it wasn't me, i can't remember his user name but his real name is Eric and he lives in Union City. I think K5MONSTERCHEV did it also though.

12. shepdog

Yeh K5 Monster chev did it, but he has a 70's style Blazer with no smog equipment and he is a smog pro anyway. Lucky for him I guess. Did you install your own detroits or did you pay someone?

13. 4X4HIGH

I installed my own rear gears and detroit but had a friend of mine do the front gears and locker. ok, i just searched and it was tunedportk5 who swapped TPI on his rig and did it all California legal.