Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear window motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88MudBeast, Jan 8, 2001.

1. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

Well, i have known i was going to have to do this since i bought the truck, but i have to get the rear winow motor replaced, or at least looked at.It takes nothing short of an act of God to get the window up or down. Does anybody know where i can get a good cheap motor? or if anybody feels like donating one to a 16 year old, who is broke at the moment, feel free to send it to me in the mail! Anyhow, if you know of anything i can do to to help the thing run a bit smoother let me know please...the less $ i have to spend the better.
    Thanks,
    Big Jake

Its gunna be a WILD ride!!

2. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

if the motor still works but the window goes up and down hard try removing the cover on the inside of the tailgate with window closed you can reach in and clean up a lot of the window crank mechanism, brake cleaner helps a bunch here
    then lubricate it with a light grease the white grease in a aerosol can is what i use but almost anything will work(really honey,i just use the vaseline to fix my blazar with)
    might give that a try before replacing a motor

marcus

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's a cable, maybe 12-18 inches long, that runs from the motor over to the window crank mechanism. It's built like a short speedo cable. Remove that cable and see if you can spin it by hand. If not, replace just the cable. You'll be amazed at how well the window goes up and down. [​IMG] The grease dried up in the one on my '87 K5 and the window would barely move. Installed a new cable and the window worked like brand new.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel. I'm 17 and had the same prob with my 87 Jimmy. At first I was going to replace the motor. I went to GM but the motors were discontinued years ago, so that was out of the pic. Then I cleaned out the mechanisims and stuff, but that didn't help anything. So finally I just converted the tailgate to manual, but that was about $250, not much help for you, but I did want to tell you that getting a new motor is out of the question. Getting it rebuilt may be an option if that is what is bad but I don't know.

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    If the electric motor and cable are sound inspect the regulator gearbox. The case on mine was cracked preventing the gears meshing. Only about $30 through GM for a replacement.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Check your channel guides for your window, mine are giving me trouble.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

7. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

If you have to replace the motor, go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.carparts.com>http://www.carparts.com</A> they have them for about $60, whichis cheaper than LMC by almost half. Also check Chyenne(sp?) Pickup Parts.

8. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

there is one on ebay right now, good price as of last night.