Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear window need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bigk10, Jan 2, 2002.

1. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

My silverado's rear window soetimes doesnt want to work my truck must running and at a high idle to roll the window both up and down. I dont know what to do to fix it?And does anyone know what the kehole on my tailgate is for?

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There are several things that can cause a slow tailgate:
    -Worn motor/regulator
    -cable needs lubrication
    -track/gears needs lubrication
    -felt in the guides and/or window seals are worn.

If it works better going down than up, the problem may be in the latch switch, too. This is a switch inside the tailgate connected to the driver's side latch. It only lets you roll the window up when the tailgate is fully closed.

The keyhole is to let you roll the window up and down from behind the vehicle. Turn one way for up and the other way for down. When this function doesn't work, it is probably one of the following:
    -key switch stuck
    -contacts in key switch worn/pitted
    -tailgate not getting 12V (wiring or fusible link problem).

As a first step, I would open up the tailgate access panel and see how everything looks. Hope some of this helps

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

3. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

I am not an elctician and Blue is probably right but if you have to rev up to get it to work could it not be that your alt is not kicking out enough juice or maybe your battery is slowly committing suicide?

4. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I have a brand new 120amp alt. Everything is well lubed with a silicone spray and moves fine when i hook up an electric drill. I found out today that if i have someone gently rock the tailgate in and out on the driverside, while rolling up and down works a little better

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

5. Blue85

The problem with big alternators is that while they provide more current at operating speeds, they provide less current at idle than their stock couterparts.

But the window is supposed to open and close even when the engine isn't running. A decent electric drill can provide more torque than the stock motor was ever supposed to. Even so, it could very well be that the motor unit needs to be replaced. Otherwise, there must be something that is preventing enough current from flowing to the back of the truck.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

6. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

My alt is a stock unit offof a 79 cadilac elderado
    But am looking into a new motor, or having mine redone by my good friends at AAA electric.

7. Kman

Kman Registered Member

There might be a lose ground.
    I have had this happen before in my 72 monte carlo. It was a lose ground once i found it it fixied it.
    Dose every thing else work O.K. if it dose look at the ground in the rear window motor that might be it.

Kevin

8. Blue85

I think that's the right approach. Stuff doesn't always work after 20 years.

9. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I have three wires goin to the rear window A blue one an orange one and i think a white and my shop manual ven though its three inches thick just for chevy trucks doesnt show these in th wiring diagram I planed on rewiring this as well but dont know what the orange wire is for or where the wires come from or where the run to

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check that mini-speedo cable that goes between the motor and regulator before you spring for a new motor. I had one that was v-e-r-y slow because the grease in the cable had gummed up so badly. Clean and grease, or replace the cable if it's sticky and you'll be amazed at how well it works. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Thanx a bunch Happy wheelin

12. Blue85

OK, the orange one is hot all the time. It should come out in the engine compartment to a 1-way connector, after which it will be hooked to a fusible link or to a distribution block on the firewall. This is the power that is used by the key switch to run the motor up and down.

The other two wires are the Up and Down wires from the dash switch. The switch connects one of them to 12V, depending on which way you push it.

The motor in the tailgate just has two terminals. One for up and the other for down. The ground is through the chassis of the tailgate.

13. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I just looked at it and there is a three prong plug with all three wires running into it that plugs into the firewall behind the driversside head.

14. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

what's the easiest way to gain access to the internals of the tailgate. does the window need to come out?
    i'm keeping a close eye on this thread because my rear window has been slow for years, but now the key swicht outside doesn't work anymore. also window hangs up about half way down, you pull out on the window and then it will continue the rest of the way down. so now it is a long process to gain access to rear of the truck.
    1.start motor(window draws too much to not have it running)
    2. presss dash button till window gets half way
    3. get out pull on window a little
    4. get back in and hold dash button till window is down. seems to go up o.k., just a little slow [​IMG]

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

15. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Ive done it this way several times and you must be extremely careful I open the panel click the rods out like it was latched and rolled the window out about 1/3 the way to get the guts have not yet dissasembld the gut to get to tailgate switch but thats how i get to it.

16. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

ya..you need to have the window up, when the gate is down, just prop it up on something like a sawhorse w/blocks to get into the back panel and start looking around, could be something simple to fix..

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

17. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I got some pic's upp on my web-site of when I did mine:

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>