Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window operation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suffergauge, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I have power windows all around. Should the rear window roll down from the outside? Mine only rolls up from outside. If the key is turned the other way nothing happens, so I have to roll it down from the dash mounted switch. I would think that it should work from the outside but I really just don't know. Any help?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

ya it should work from either the inside or outside.
    It sounds like you have a contact problem.

3. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Hey Jeff, try taking out lock cylinder and looking at contacts, You may be able to clean them for repair. I just did this over weekend and works great now. You can check the switch while it's out and see if it's corrected , and if not, just replace unit. You'll need to have rear window up and unbolt it from inside truck.

4. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I just tried to fix the same problem on my suburban, but I think the switch is fried. The contacts were in good shape and the window would only go up from the outside. I haven't checked on a price yet. Hopefully you can just get the switch so I don't have to re-key a new lock cylinder! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    Chris

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the contacts are in good shape, and you checked continuity between the wiring pin and the switch contact (if thats possible, if not, coninuity between every individual piece) and you have continuity, perhaps you aren't getting power to the switch from the wire for "down"?

Mine quite working (again....right after I fixed it and reassembled, but AFTER I tested to make sure I'd fixed it) but this time I'm going to make sure I'm getting voltage where I should be, and that the contacts have continuity between them and the wire connecting pins.

6. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Right on! Thanks for reassuring what I had thought in the first place. Now I know what I have to work with. It sounds like this is not an uncommon problem, oh well.

Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif