Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window Options :

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

my rear window is the mechanical one. For some reason, the lock will not unlock, so I cannot put it down. The key slides in, but it just won't turn.
    I took the internal panel off, but the window gears are in the way and I cannot get to the lock mechanism itself.

Anybody have any idea's?
    Do I have to pull all the gears out of the tailgate to replace this lock?
    What about a swap-over to the electric window? Has anyone ever done this?

My previous Full Size GMC Jimmy had the electric window and it was great - Much more convienent then the manual window.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

2. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

When I got my Blazer, the rear key woiuld not turn, so out came the silicon lubricant, I squirted some right into the key slot, and then it turned. you might want to try that.
    Steve

These things are EXPENSIVE

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The hell with all the fancy lubricants. Trust the old faithful. Shoot some WD40 in there, let it sit. And gently work it. If that doesn't work, get a big hammer. A hammer will fix anything. Least it did in the Navy. (LOL)

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

This is a very simple lock, it is hard to explain but the rear of the lock is flat with a knob that hangs off of it, there is a dawg that has a wedge shape to it that is raised and lowered by turning the cylinder and a spring that forces the dawg up when the window is unlocked to activate the crank. there are 2 things that could be wrong,
    1 the back of the cylinder and dawg got sticky over time (probability)
    2 the dawg could be stuck or the spring could be broken so the cylinder can't turn (possibility) if this is the case you need to remove the window, the regulator, the cranck assembly, then order a new spring from GM $2.13 I don't have the part # on hand though but I just replaced the crank and all of the guts attached to it, expensive but simple job.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME WHEN I GOT MY K5,TURNED OUT IT WAS THE WRONG KEY,HAD IT REKEYED FOR 9 BUCKS,NOW THE KEY FITS BUT IT STILL DOESNT WORK,IT TURNS BUT DOES NOTHING.WHEN I CHANGED MY LOCK OUT I DIDNT HAVE A WINDOW BUT I BELIVE YOU CAN STILL GET IN THERE TO TAKE THE LOCK OUT (2 BOLTS)YOU JUST NEED AN EXTENSION

guns dont kill postal workers do