Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window problem,please help the new guy...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K-5 Guy, Nov 4, 2002.

1. K-5 Guy

K-5 Guy Registered Member

Ok i tried to do a search but couldn't find the help i needed. Yesterday my rear window works fine today it will not lower by the switch or by the key /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif when i try to lower it using either method i can hear some kind of noise but it will not come down. Now how in the heck do i get the window down so i can open the rear door. It looks like it will be hard as hell to lay on the floor in the back to get at it. Please help i have no clue on what to do.By the way any one in Michigan that could come give me a hand.
    Thanks very much
    Mike.....

2. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but if you're sure it won't go down using the switch or a key than your only choice is to unscrew that panel from the inside and see what's going on.
    Worst comes to worst you can disconnect the cable and twist it with some pliers to lower the window so you can lower the gate and get a good look.
    Good luck,
    smack

3. BSav

BSav Registered Member

My window has been problematic for about a year. You may want to replace the right and left tailgate catch latches so they make a good conection and line up the tailgate and the cap corrctly, when you get the window down. When you get the gears exposed ( by unscrewing the inside tail gate plate) you can oil them or put some grease on them to let the window go up and down more smothley. You can also put WD-40 on the felt like seal on the cap that the window slides up in.
    Hope this helps Good Luck

stock 88 GMC, rebult 350, coustom air cleaner wing nut (says GMC)

4. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I replaced the window motor and drive cable this summer. While it was apart I cleaned the grease and grit out of the gear sectors and lubed with moly grease. The grit was really screwing up the works. Well worth the time and effort. Oddly enough, my local dealer said the motor is no longer avaiable from G.M. I had to get a rebuilt from Auto Zone.
    John