Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Aug 21, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My rear window will roll down, but wont roll back up. This is from both the switch in the cab and the key in the tailgate. I can't find where the wires to the motor are grounded. Any other ideas?

2. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

same thing happened to me. on mine it was the motor cutout switch located in the tailgate latch on the left side of the tailgate. its a switch that breaks the circuit to the motor so you can't roll it up when the tailgate is open. over time, a part of the switch will get bent and not function correctly. long story short, remove the latch from the tailgate and inspect the metal shaft on the cutoff switch. you can bend it back straight, or just buy a new switch from lmc or something.

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The ground is the tail gate hinges to the tail pan. When that gets rusty it loses ground. One wire on motor is to go up and other wire is to go down.
    Hope that helps you some.

4. TheSunDanceKid

TheSunDanceKid Registered Member

well if its not working on either its got to be at the motor or some where where the switches intersect possibly they are ground or wired from the same area its doubtfull that both switches went bad at the same time check fuse and relays to save some time i know on my back window poper the relay took a **** and wouldnt open changed it out worked perfectly

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The motor casing itself is ground. The 2 wires going to the motor are both positive, one to make it go in either direction.