Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Sep 14, 2005.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey all,

So i'm having trouble with my tailgate window............again. Last time it wasn't working was because the sensor in the latch wasn't activating all the way. That's fixed, here's the new problem:

The motor for the window only runs if I put the key in the tailgate and run it down. If I try to run it up, nothing happens. The switch on the dash area doesn't run the window up or down. Any ideas on why this would be? I took the tailgate apart pretty well and none of the wires are corroded (sp?) and all the connections were tight.

The key switch in the tailgate was starting to get harder to use (before it completely stopped) but the dash button never had any problem. Then one day it just completely stopped working all together. I think there is a fuse for this window on my truck (an 81' silverado, K5 obviously). It's a bigger metal one, but I don't know what to look for as far as a blown fuse with this one. Right now I have to use my cordless drill to get the window up and down...............a bit frustrating.

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it.

--Adam

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It's not a blown fuse or else you wouldn't be able to operate the window with the key.
    I sounds like it may be corrosion inside the key switch itself since things gradually stopped working. If I remember correctly (and maybe someone who's been inside their window more recently can correct me) all the wires go to the key switch. You can take the it apart and clean it. I think it's self explanatory how to take it apart, but if you do a search there's a post that expains how to do it.

3. nau81blazer

Ok, i'll try to find that post. Why would the window still roll down with the key, though (since the switch on the dash doesn't roll it down).....very confusing. Thanks for the input.

--Adam

4. nau81blazer

Any one else..................please :bow:

5. nau81blazer

Come on guys! I know there's got to be someone out there with the answer!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :D :D :D :D :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

6. nau81blazer

7. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my tailgate window and it ended up being the switch out of adjustment. I would double check the switch that is used to confirm the tailgate is up. Take the plug off and throw a jumper wire on it. This will eliminate the switch all together, then try to roll the window up or down. If the window does work, then there is something wrong with the switch, but if the window doesn't work, time to pull out a meter or test light and start checking for voltage and confirming everything.

I forget how it is exactly wired, but if you still have the problem, let me know and I can write up a cheat sheet for you on how to check it all out, but I would definitely double check that switch that confirms the tailgate is up. Good luck...

8. nau81blazer

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll try to take a look at it this weekend. Thanks again :bow:

--Adam

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I can tell you this much , if the key switch needs replaced , some of the nuts are hiding behind the guts . I had to remove the window so I wouldn't break it , take the regulator loose , and there were the nuts . Remove the whole chrome thingy at once and change the switch out from that :D

10. nau81blazer

Nice, thanks for the info.

--Adam