Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WELLH2O, Mar 9, 2000.

1. WELLH2O

WELLH2O Registered Member

My rear window seal is shot and is falling out, I have found the replacement part but I need to know how to replace it. I also have noticed that the rear window has come loose and when I put my rear window down it goes down crooked and I have to push one side down as I wind it down. It is electric and on a 1990 stock Silverado Blazer. Do I need to take the whole tailgate apart to fix these two things? I would like to do it next weekend so let me know what y'all think.
    Thanks in advance

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Since we're discussing rear windows, I'll throw my question here too. The power R. window on my 87 K5 hangs up about halfway, only when going UP. There is a clunking sound when it goes past the spot going down. I have to gently push inward on the window when going up to get past the hangup. Is this an easy fix, or should I just live with it like the other wonderful K5 quirks? Thanks gents(and ladies!)

Semper Maintenance!

3. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it could be a bad cable. I'd take the access panel off (like 20 screws) and watch from inside while someone outside turns the key. It could be getting hung up on something, maybe even the friction of the old seal?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

As far as it going down crooked, it might be loose bolts that hold the window at the bottom or the guides might be loose also. it might even be that the felt it the guides might be gone and not "guiding" the window properly. Take the access panel off and observe it. you can do it with the gate open as long as you flip the switch on both sides of the tailgate. it makes it easier that way. The seal of the window can be changed with the window down. Just look at the new one and how the clips are shaped and you'll be able to remove the old one. Don't worry about damaging the old one,just get it out. As far as the window hanging up on the way up, again it could be the bolts that hold the window coming out and catching on something or any bolt for that mather. I don't think it's the cable cause it wouldn't do it at the same place all the time. On this one you'd have to check it with the tailgate closed cause the window will be at a different angle if you leave it open. Good luck.
    Hey jarhead rank and original home?!
    Esteban
    SEMPER FIDELIS TO MY BLAZER

5. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

i haven't replaced the felt on my rear window...but mine came unglued too and would get stuck in the topper and go down crooked. For that you have to take the access panel off of the tailgate. at the bottom of the glass on either side there are two bolts(4 total)_ that hold the glass & channel to the thingy that pushes it up & down. i'm not sure if you'll have to unbolt it or not(my window finally works right & i don't look back there for any reason anymore) but i think you could use some kind of silicone to reglue the window into the channel. besure when you glue it to raise the window up when you're done gluing and leave it up for a couple of days to make sure the glue is nice and dry before you start using it again....i would suggest regluing it....i left mine....and one day i loaded a 9ft aluminum boat in the back and left the tail gate down....the window thing never even crossed my mind....until i heard a crash while going 55 down the road.....then i remembered "oooh yeah....the window....sh@t....at least the insurance company covered that $600 bill....that's right $600...for glass, 3channels, and labor.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

6. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Is it just me or does that seem typical of women drivers? Remembering when its too late? Just kidding Sarah had to give you a hard time.. Oh yeah you rolled your truck too right? Lol sorry had to bring that up too

Zack "no accidents yet (damn i just jinxed myself)" carlson

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

7. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

The window going down crooked sounds like one of three things;
    1. The glue could have come loose like Sarah said. If that is the case use an automotive grade urethane adhesive. Silicone will not be strong enough to last.
    2. The nylon rollers may have worn out and come out of the channel. You can get them cheap from GM but the regulator has to come out and the pins that the roller goes on have to be ground off to install the new ones.
    3. The channel itself could be rusted apart. These are available also from GM.
    Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.
    Sarah,
    The $600 is what the insurance company pays but if you didn't have insurance you would pay less. I could explain why but don't want to bore you all. If anyone needs glass, I can fix you up with a great deal in most areas of the country.

Blazerbob

8. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

Jarhead,
    My 87 has done that as long as I can remember!
    I finally bought a new tailgate( old one rusted) and there was a channell that had busted loose from the inside if the gate. every time the window went up it would hang up on it. You would have to wiggile the window to get it to move.Now she functions fine after finding the bracket and replacing it!

David

Drive It Like You Stole It !!!![​IMG]

9. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

good deal on glass?

89 K5 windshield cracked.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

10. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Re: good deal on glass?

Sorry Delta but California is one of the states that we have not reached yet. We are constantly expanding and have stores in 39 states. I have a link on my website which is in my profile. I don't know pricing in that area but I don't think it would cost more than $140 installed. Shop around for best price. My stores guarantee lowest price. Sorry I couldn't help you. Let me know how you make out when you decide to replace it. Good luck

Blazerbob<font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Re: good deal on glass?

I'd have been happy to throw you my business as well, but it doesn't look like you cover AZ either. I need a windshield too! (Insurance will cover it though...Thank God!)

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

12. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey BlazerBob, I live in Pensacola, Fl and your site says you have a location here, YEAH! I have a cracked passenger side sliding window, do you know how much it would run me?

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

13. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Thanks anyhow Steve. I can check on your window tomorrow Rob. Which one is it and is it the dark privacy glass or just regular green tint?

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

dark privacy glass

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>