Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window problems

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by chvyhs, Mar 8, 2003.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My rear window no longer works using the key in the tailgate. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? Has anyone else worn out their tailgate handle? I can no longer open my gate the normal way. I removed the cover for mine and push directly on the 2 bars in there to open mine. Thanks for any help.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My rear window no longer works using the key in the tailgate. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've had to do this many times. You have to take the actual electric tumbler apart and clean the copper contacts that are corroded(sp?), they seem to corrode easily.

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone else worn out their tailgate handle?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not yet, but i have a complete extra inside handle and mechanism if your interested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

coulda blown the fuse for the key switch? it runs on a different circuit then the inside switch does. the plug for it could also have fallen out of the fusebox...

also, for the inability to open the tailgate with the handle, there's 2 things you can do to try and fix that. 1 is the handle sometimes bends over the years, and becomes impossible to actuate. the other is, the rods are connectd to a cam device that connects to another rod that goes to the handle. you can adjust this mechanisim by taking the bolt loose... be warned tho: its a pain in the butt to get it properly readjusted, especialy if you're alone. you need about 3 hands to shif the parts to the right spots.

another thing that helped mine out was dumping some 30 weight oil into the latch mechanisims, and working them open and shut a few times. this softened the hard grease cake in the latches, and let them open and close easily again. I also dumped a crapload of 30 weight on the crusty window tracks, and slide mechanisims, which revitalized the window, and allows it to completely open in about 3 seconds, and close in about 5. pretty good for a tailgate I was originaly going to throw out as completely useless, and broken beyond repair. now, if I could only remember what key fits teh rear lock, and get a power line run to it so I can open the window from the outside...

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my handle was bending. I straightened it out and then sprayed PB Blaster on all moving mechanisms. Worked great, and I've had no problems since then. Also, mine wouldn't disengage it by pulling it...the rod wasn't pushing the cam part from the handle, it was too short. So, I got a nut and washer as spacers and put them in the rod, it's worked great so far.
    My window wasn't rolling down, it was the switch in the tailgate to let the motor know the gate was closed. I just undid the connector, cut it off, and spliced the wires with a wire nut, hasn't failed me yet...

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My window wasn't rolling down, it was the switch in the tailgate to let the motor know the gate was closed. I just undid the connector, cut it off, and spliced the wires with a wire nut, hasn't failed me yet...

[/ QUOTE ]
    My window got stuck down on a trip. Did the same as you and haven't had a problem since /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif