Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear window question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suthrnchvyguy89, May 4, 2005.

1. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

is the rear window of an '89 k5 supposed to go all the way down into the tailgate because mine sticks up the top of the tailgate about 3/4 to 1 inch when it wont go down any further.

its been like this ever since i got it and ive used the control under the dash and the key but the same thing happens.

i just wanted to know cuz im afraid one of my friends is gonna be gettin in or out of the back and accidently hit it with their shoe and shatter it...

2. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

I have a 90 with an electric window and it does the exact same thing. I pulled off the cover to look to see what was stopping it from going all the way down and the spot welded window stop at the bottom is just put on too far up for the window to go all the way down. As a result I can't haul anything that might rest on the tailgate for fear of breaking the window.

I've seen the same thing on other Blazers during the summer when people have their rear windows down. Looks like a manufacturer flaw in the design. Someday I'll get in there with a grinder and move the bumpstop down about 1/2 inch. You don't want to go too far though since you don't want the window to get below the seals and basically fall inside.

3. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

when i first got my 83 it went down all way into the tailgate, but recently it sticks up about 3/4 of an inch and it bugs me too. but my window is already shattered and the only thing holding it together is the safety glass between the two pans of glass and the window tint.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Agree with the other posts. It's part of the design, at least on the later ones.

I *assume* that it has something to with removing some of the load off of the window tracks. If you put the window all the way down, nothing would support it except the tracks. As it is now, the tracks and window seals support it.

Have a feeling you can equate it to how easy you can break a door window in these trucks if you slam it with the window down, compared to having the window down, except it's a much bigger, heavier window, with more potential for movement, by far.