Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear window question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chrisb420, Oct 6, 2005.

1. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

hey eveybody its been awhile since i posted anything but i wanted to shoot an idea around or see if anybody has done something like this before. i have an 86 k5 that has been an ongoing project (money pit) for about the last year. anyway i want to run a truck tailgate on the blazer, but since the truck wont fit in the garage i have to put the roof on during the winter. i have seen on here before that other people have modified camper shell back windows and installed on the hardtop, but what i was thinking is to have the rear glass cut a couple of inches from the bottom and somehow running a support under the glass that would attach to the hardtop, and allow me to close the pickup tailgate. i have not started this yet but i figured i would ask if anybody ever tried something like it. thanks in advance chris b

p.s. colorado k5 has been a huge help in getting my truck close to being finished. i am becoming a paying member in the morning so if anybody has pics post em up cause tommorow i will finally be able to look at them.

2. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

You cannot cut the factory rear window because it is tempered for safety reasons. (That's how it breaks up into little squares rather than daggers if you get in an accident - the windshield is a different story ) Anyways, your idea would work if you were to use plexiglass or lexan and cut it to the shape you wanted. Lexan is better but more expensive. Plexiglass will break and is more prone to when it gets cold. Lexan will not break-period! Good luck.

3. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

once again ck5 to the rescue, i was going to go to home depot tommorow and buy a glass cutter. money better spent on a membership i guess. thanks