Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Jun 21, 2003.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

What do I need to do to get the window back into the tailgate once I get a new one. I can't see how I would get the window to mount into the slot at the bottom of the tailgate because the cover doesn't open up the whole area. I anybody knows how to replace the window or has done it before please explain to me how to do it.

Thanks!!

2. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

just roll the window up with out the window being in , the mounts will move up

3. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

remove the felt weather stripping at teh top of the tailgat sot eh window channel si wide open and crank the missing window part way up while the tailgate is open and you will see it is then very easy to undo teh 4 botls which hold the window assembly to the mechanism then jsut pull the botom window rail otu and put the new window in put the bolts in and crank the window all the way into the tailgate, now close the tailgate and put the top felts back in so that it seals between the tailgate and the window, roll up your window and now you no longer have the huge hole where your window used to be

4. BSav

BSav Registered Member

I replaced my window on my tailgate a few years back, I was told to set it in a beed of calk and a cut up pedal bike tube to ensure that it made a good seal and seat properly. A friend at a local GM dealer told me this, but my window also in mot a rool or crank up. I dont know if this matters, but I hope it helps.

Brian Sav
    88 GMC Jimmy, 350 V8, mostly stock
    rusty crome wheels (for speed)

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i just put about 3 or 4 layers of duct tape on the bottom of my window to hold it in the sash, been there for about 2 years now, no problems yet.

6. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Sorry to butt in on your post,

But I need to replace the rubber seal and felt for the rear window and wondered if there's much to doing it and best place to pick up the parts?
    tks,
    Tom

Tks if anyone knows