Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window roller rivet install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shepdog, Aug 26, 2006.

1. shepdog

shepdog Registered Member

I just bought some roller rivets from LMC for my rear power window on my 86K5. I grinded off the old ones and when I went to insert the new LMC ones they are quite a bit smaller in diameter. Anybody else had that problem? Should I heat the rivets up and smash them flat with a hammer or is ther another process? Maybe I should just order them through the dealer I don't know, but that rear window is a pain in the rear.

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

NO!! Do NOT heat them, you'll melt the plastic. I know, I've done it..:doah: When I did mine, I found a rather large punch that I somehow ended up with. The idea is to set the metal like a rivet, expanding the metal to fill the gap to make it tight, then to lay the excess length over. Don't know if this is the best way, or not. But that is how I did mine ( the second time) two years ago. Hope that helps:rolleyes:

3. shepdog

shepdog Registered Member

Ok so I place a large punch in the center of the rivet and hammer away on the punch-squashing the rivet out?

4. Smokin'Joe

Something like that. The punch I used was at one time ( I think ) A Chisel. It was something I aquired from my dad. It is roughly an inch around, with 6 flat sides. My dad used to run a garage in Carlsbad, New Mexico back in the 60's, and modified tools if he needed something that wasn't made. In this case a big punch. I used it to expand the metal, and to start it flaring out. I used a ball peen hammer afterwards. Guess which side? After it was smushed so far, I used the flat peen to finish. I had taken my time, trying not to tear it. Good luck.

5. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not looking at this can you just use a bolt and nut through the roller and squash the rivet?

6. Smokin'Joe

The punch was what I used. Yeah. Don't see why not...