Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window stuck up, but getting power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Mar 12, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok my rear window has been stuck up for the past 2 weeks, i've taken apart the tailgate as much as i can, i see all the wires, everything looks connected, when i press the switch to put the window up the lights bearly dim, and i hear the click from the relay or what ever it, but when i try and make it go down, nothing. no noise or dimming. So i've switched the wires so maybe the good power wire would feed the downward function. nothing,

obviously i dont know a whole lot aboout whats wrong. Anyone have any info that can help me? i dont have a test light. i have tried the switch in the cab and the tailgate key hole and same problem both places. Thanks
    In searching i found this, but it didnt help too much

post /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

is there power at the window when you push the down side of the switch? if yes, you need a motor, if not, you may need a switch.. its hard to explain how to test a switch like that... but if there is power at the motor when you work the switch, tap the motor with a small hammer, about as hard as you would knock on someones door, and see if it works..

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

no power, so sounds like the switch, can i get to the switch while the window is up fully? i remember reading about how the window needs to be down some to change certian parts /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well where's the switch at?? ive never ever worked on a k5 blazer before lol.. there's 2 switches, right? one in the tailgate and one in the cab?? if so.. id try and figure out if there's power coming out of either of them when you push down.. and if there is.. you may need a relay..

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

You may need the window regulator cable, not sure if this is your problem, but was with mine. I know it was the easiest place to start and was only 30 some odd bucks, I think this is correct price.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok i forgot to mention that this was on the 90 burb. and second, how can i tell or test if its the cable you mentioned? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

not sure about a burban, but I disconnected the cable from the motor and had someone press the switch to make sure the motor and switch worked. hope this helps, not much of a mechanic when it comes to trouble shooting on the technical side or any side for that matter, I'm dumber than a box of rocks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, just try the simple way.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

A little off topic, Brandon, how did you make that tool box in the back of your blazer? (I went to your website) and is your gastank in stock location still? Thanks. Im very interested in that idea /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. lawman5050

lawman5050 Registered Member

I had the same problem with my Jimmy when I bought it. Turned out to be the cable between the motor and the widow regulator. The window seal was leaking water into the tailgate which in turn rusted the cable solid.

Heres how I troubleshot mine. Since I could hear the motor click when I hit the switch up front, I guessed that the motor was probably still good and it was obviously getting power. I unscrewed the cable from the motor and tried turning the cable with a pair of pliers. The cable would not turn at all and I could also see some rust inside of it. Once I replaced this cable with a new one, it turned very easily. I can take my cordless drill, close the chuck around the end of the cable that goes into the motor, and use my drill to raise and lower the widow.

If you already have the access panel pulled off of the inside of the tailgate, it only takes a few minutes to unscrew the cable and check it. If you can't move the cable to raise or lower the window than start looking elsewhere.

Hope this helps.