Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 28, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

OK - my rear window sometimes will stop working, from both the dash switch and outside the truck. Trying to roll it up or down using eithr one doesn't help.. thinking there is a bad switch somewhere in there, anyone kow where it is? its pretty dusty out here, wouldn't be surprised if it juts got dirty...thanks

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

There's a safety switch on the driver's side of the tailgate on the inside, that might be it.

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

follow the wires to where the factory crimps are cut them out and re-splice, I had this problem too and that fixed it, good place to start anyway.

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

I think that would only prevent it from going up, not both

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Good luck...I've replaced both my switches (front and rear) ran new wiring, replaced the tracks, and got a new motor and still have occasional blackout periods where it just dont wanna work.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

There is a light blue wire ( at least in 87 ) that goes high up in the tailgate on the drivers side. there is a shitch there that tells the motor that the gate is open or closed, you can jump it out or shoot it with wd 40 and it should start to work better. It did for me.

Matt

Also the re-splice of the factory crap is a good idea.

7. schwank

schwank Registered Member

Had the exact same problem about 6 months back... was actually reversing the polarity on the wires to make the window do what i wanted, cause it wouldn't co-operate. Of course now my cable busted, so I wait on the part to arrive.

As previous posters have metioned the rear window lockout switch is located underneath the latch mechanism on the drivers side. The LMC Blazer catalog has a great blowup of the thing.

I decided to not blow another 25 bucks on a replacement, as common sense would dictate that you don't roll up the back window with the tailgate open. That's just me, if you think that's a problem, go buy a new switch. Otherwise splice the blue wire running up to it, and voila back in action...

In case you need it, here's the wiring diagram given to me
    rear window wiring diagram