Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window switch

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by chvyhs, Oct 2, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My rear window swich doesn't work anymore. I'm talking about the key swich in the tailgate. Anyone fix this problem before? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

What does rotfl mean? And what the hell is this? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif It's missing a set of doors!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, i had to completely take mine apart and clean off the contact points inside the switch and its worked great ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

If your window is up, this can be a PITA!! To get to mine, I had to crawl into the rear, unscrew the inside of the tailgate. Then disconnect the window. Then drop the window so that I could open the tailgate to work on it. It wasn't much fun, especially the hitting my head on the roof parts!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I couldn't resist the temptation, so I made a 'Burb outta /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. If anyone wants it, I can email it to ya as I don't have it posted anywhere yet. My email is in my profile.... EDIT: Try this... /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Thanks,
    My window still goes up and down with the inside switch.

I now see the Sub in the instant gremlins.

So what does ROTFL mean?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gifWE RULE!

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

ROTFL - Rolling On The Floor Laughing

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

hooray! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

-Rich

8. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I tried to fix mine today. It would go up, but not down with the key. It's pretty easy to get to, just a pain in the @ss! It turns out I need a new switch. The contacts on mine are too far gone. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, I guess I just have to use the switch inside from now on! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I do so love my barn doors. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I seam to never have to deal with such issues as: My rear window won't go up or how do I keep the exhaust out of my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm sure I'm going to look like this /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifwhen someone with a tailgate sees me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifLOL

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you may not have window sticking problems, but I don't have a blindspot dead center of my rear. not only that, I can sit on the tailgate, and it makes a great work bench. the only time I curse my tailgate, is on the lifted K20, when I have to try and reach inside ( not often) and I don't have any trouble with exhaust getting in, now that I've fixed my exhaust system. the other positive thing, is I can drive with the window down, and get some wicked awesome cross ventalation.

-Rich

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I fixed mine. The first problem was the burnt out fuse /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The second was the latch sensor. I found that if I pound my fist on the tailgate near the right side latch while the key is turned, it will miraculously work again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A problem I still have is the tailgate handle. The linkage must be bent or something? I took off the inside panel and pull on the rods manually to open it.

When the tailgate packs it in, the barn doors go on /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    My '77 parts Burb has barn doors, but it looks like the rear sill and hinge pillars are different on my 84. Has anyone successfully converted? I'll tackle the endeavour when the time comes, but a heads-up is always nice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

from what I;ve read/seen/been told, all you need to do to convert to barn doors, is remove the upper fiberglass portion where the tailgate window rolls up into, knock out the plastic nubs that cover the door hinge bolt holes, and bolt the doors on. the sill plate might be different, but should also be simple to unbolt/bolt on from the other truck.

-Rich

13. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Draggon,
    LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Yeah the center post is a bit of truble but once you lift high enough your prettymuch relying on your side mirrors anyways /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just tinted the rears and use the side mirrors. would love to figure a way to make the side rear windows open like vans (from the bottom)