Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window Tracks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fyrdog, Dec 21, 2001.

1. fyrdog

fyrdog Newbie

Hi I am new to the board. I have a 1990 K5 with an electric rear winow. I recently had trouble with cable falling out of the motor to power the window up and down. While I was in there I noticed that the window track on one side has been rotting away. Has anyone had to repair or replace the tracks on their window? How did you do it and where did you get the parts?

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Welcome! I have a 76 K5 and have had to 'rebuild' the rear window assembly. I'm not sure what exactly your window problem is but here is what I did to remedy the worn wheels inside the tracks. First of all you gotta take the glass out. Kind of a PIA but not too bad. I beleive I just had to take the outter molding along the top of the tailgate out to allow the base of the window to slide out. That molding is held in very well by metal clips. (I replaced the seal from the dealer-$30 I think.) Take a wire wheel to the tracks to get them nice and clean. Here is the cool part. The original nylon wheels that ride in the track were completly shot on mine allowing the window to come off the track. These wheels are held on with rivits. I drilled the rivit out and got some of those little carburator linkage ball socket type deals. I had to buy a couple universal packs so I could use the biggest ones. Make sure you use a bit the same size as the threads on the 'socket'. Also buy nylon nuts that fit the back side of the biggest 'socket'. Anyway, I took the wheel that was in the best condition to an auto glass shop and matched them up. He just gave me all I needed for free. Now press the socket and new wheel together using pliars and some grease. Take care not to gash the wheel. This is a very tight fit at first but that's what you want. I think there are 4 that you will do like this. Now put the socket and wheel assmbly back on the hardware in your tailgate. The drilled rivit hole should make for a nice fit for the 'socket' to slide into if you've used the right bit. Now use the nylon nuts to tighten them down. Replace the glass and weather stipping and you're good to go. Oh Yea. Grease every part of the window hardware while you're in there. Run the glass up and down several times and regrease the parts that need it. You'll be amazed at how easy your window will roll up and down. Not to mention less stress on your electric motor. As far as your electrical connection, can't you just zip tie it up to keep it in place?

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You can buy a new window track(you are talking baout what holds onto the glass right?) at the dealer for around $16.... But it needs to be glued on and sit for a few hours in a certain temp...(just warmer like 70*+)

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyur than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>