Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window wont roll all the way down....sniff sniff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eripley, Mar 8, 2004.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

Got a blazer k5 1979. Rear window rolls down all the way but about 1/4 of an inch of glass showing at the center. I took the tailgate apart (the panel off the back) and the bottom metal part that holds the glass hits a metal stop in the center of the tailgate. Is this normal for glass to stick out. Am I making something out of nothing (I do this alot). I am very nervous when loading things in the truck. I transport full size arcade machines (or items that are very heavy and I have to slide) time to time and to load them myself I tilt back onto the tailgate and then pick up at the bottom and slide in. Same way to unload. They miss the glass by inches. If something hit the glass it would shatter and my truck would be totaled....no seriously.
    Any fixes or recommendations?

Thank in advance. All you guys rock! Even the ones that dont answer this message. Every message I have ever posted I have never got flamed and got help. This is the best forum in the world.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

A lot of K5's I've seen do that same thing. Some M1009s even have red tape on the top part of the window so its more visable when its sticking out...

3. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

That is not normal ?

I do not lower my window the last 3/4" or so because it likes to stick.
    But even if I lower it all the way, it has about 1/4" sticking out.

4. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Well this probably doesn't help but, me too. My 90 does the same thing. Oddly enough none of the other 5 K5s that I have owned did it. Their tailgate windows all rolled down flush.

I took the panel off the tailgate and rolled the window down. It hits the metal stop with about 1/4 inch of window still raised. It looks like you would have to cut the riveted stop off and re-tack weld it lower down. Otherwise you can't carry anything that rides on the top of the tailgate without breaking the window.

Nice quality control, Chevrolet...

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice quality control, Chevrolet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, cut some slack. I'd be pissed if I was the original owner, but if I was I would have had it fixed under warranty. Chances are, most of our rigs have had multiple owners any where in its life I could have got fubard.

My 75 won't roll up the last inch from the top. I'm certainly not blaming Chevy for it, the dang truck is 29 years old! Its been used like the town whore and it shows its scars. I've got another window regulator and crank from a junkyard score for $12, new roller bushings from the dealer for $5 and the pins for the bushings are on thier way from a dealer I call on and should be here today. Now that I got all the parts, I'll rebuild the "new" regulator and stuff it in.

These things are not new by any means and need some TLC to keep the little things working. But hey I'm wierd I like fixing stuff like that. beats diagnosing a nasty drivability issue on any new OBDII problem.

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Same here. Here's what I did: Took the window out. The glass was not fitted flush into the bottom channel. It looked like the glass had raised itself out of the channel but not totally. Maybe the original black stuff had ooozed up and out. I used some high voltage insulating tape (nonsticky) and used it to remount the glass. It is not totally flush but am below the lip of the rubber.

A previous time the window would stop about 3/4 of the way down. The fuzz on the side channels had wadded up towards the bottom of one channel.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I too disassembled the tailgate and noticed there was no way it would go lower. (an '86 tailgate approx.)

I have a feeling this was more a "feature" to make sure that the weatherstripping wasn't ripped off by the window going into the tailgate all the way, and ripping it off on the way out. Only reason I can think of to expose the glass like that.

8. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

In this case, I do blame Chevy for it. The fact that so many different model years have the same problem seemingly randomly leads me to believe that the quality control just wasn't there when the machine tack welded the lower window stop inside the tailgate. This isn't something that just wore out from (in my case with the '90) 14 years of use. The stop is welded in the wrong location. Apparently a lot of other people have the same problem. Like I said, my other three K5s don't have that problem and I have owned the '76 for 23 years.

I agree that if I was the original owner I would have gotten it fixed under warranty. I'll fix it myself eventually since I can't haul anything on top of the tailgate the way it is.

Now if all my Blazers would just stop breaking those crappy manual tailgate window crank handles...

Nice tailgate window handle design Chevrolet...