Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window wont roll down

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SmokinLB7, Apr 4, 2007.

1. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Hey all, I cannot get my window in the rear to roll down. It is an automatic window, and I know that the motor is good because when i push the button I can hear the little click thing work, and also, I can see all the wires and stuff shift when it is trying to go. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks a lot

Zach

2. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Unbolt the motor from the track. All it takes is a little sticky on the track to keep it from moving. Once the motor is off, you should be able to lower the window by hand. Attach a wire from the motor housing to a known ground and check up/down functions. If the motor works, just make sure the track is clean of any large clumps of grease, relube if necessary and reinstall the motor.

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Make sure the weather stripping has not welded itself to the glass. If nothing else take the access panel off the tailgate. Find the motor and cable. Disconnect the cable and use a cordless drill to roll down the glass.

4. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

What would I connect the drill to for manually rolling down the window?

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the cable

6. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Alright so pulled everything apart today. I figured out that it will roll up, but not down. Is it possible to loose a direction on the motor or is it most likely that it is a wireing problem. I cannot not figure it out. If anyone might have a picture of all the wiring on theirs might help a lot.

Thanks
    Zach

7. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Check all your connections, I had the same problem, just a loose connection. I felt stupid hah

8. cabledawg

I have an 88 Burb. There are two wires going to the motor. Both are power leads, one for the up direction, and one for down. The motor has to be grounded to work. Put a voltmeter on one lead and have someone hit the button one direction then the other. You should get voltage at least once. Try the other wire, same thing. If you arent getting any voltage from one wire, that your bad lead and could be either the tailgate key switch or the dash switch or a bad wire.
    Test the switches like you did the wires. Ground one lead of the voltmeter and put the other on one terminal of the switch (not the power source which will have voltage on all the time). Flip the switch like before and check for voltage like before. If no voltage on one side (most likely the down position since your window wont go down) then the switch is bad and you make a trip to your local auto parts store. If you have good voltage on both sides, then your wiring is bad going to the tailgate. Visit your local auto parts store, get a spool of at least 20 ft of 14g or bigger wire and have fun running it to the motor from the switch.
    If need be, I can take some pics and post them, but it will take a few days.

9. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Thank you that is just what i needed. I ran out of time today, but i did find a bunch of hacker wireing back there, so i tried to get some of it a little better then what was going on back there. Some of it was a bit scary :( I will try all that tomorrow though. Thanks again cabledawg.

10. cabledawg

Just make sure to check that the window isnt jammed before you go hacking wires. It doesnt take much to keep the motor from turning. Mine does it whenever the tailgate doesnt get closed all the way and then the window is rolled up.

11. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Right, I took the window out to make sure that everything is free'd up and then i took the motor out and I could manually move the arms, i that is when i discovered that the motor only rolls up, and not down. The 2 wires that you were talking about coming out of the motor, I switched the two, and figured that if I switched them then maybe the motor would then roll down and not up, but it just took away the up function as well, so i switched them back and it still only goes up....could this mean anything? I will try and take a picture of it today to see if it looks right, because there is something on there that doesnt look right to me.

Thanks again
    Zach