Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window workings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Jan 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My rear window goes up and down pretty hard. The truck came with a crank gate but it was rusted out so I replace ti with an electric one when I restored the body. It has always worked slow, I got another motor from a junkyard thinking mine was worn and weak but it didn't help much. I put in a new battery and it worked a little better but not much. Every couple weeks it gets stuck at some point in the up down process and I have to take it apart and lube it up. The scissor arms seem to rub against the window slide parts and bind up over time. I just spray some white lithium on there and run it up and down with a cordless drill and go for a couple weeks. Anyone know if this is a common problem? any suggestions?

2. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Mine on my '87 works very slowly also...sounds like it is going to die constantly...but always continues to work. I have yet to have it stick on me...but I recently pulled the gate apart and used a tub fo lithium grease on all sliders and moving parts, helped a little but not a bunch. I just think the motors are way under powered and design is a little weak for the size of window they have to move. I would like to know if anyone has figured out a better way.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah that sounds like mine but every once and a while it does stop. Have to break out the cordless drill and the white lithium.

4. mtnman4x4

mtnman4x4 Registered Member

Well thanks for answering that question. I was just getting ready to buy another motor. Mine does the same thing and it also stops about 3/4 of the way up, but only when it feels like it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

same place mine stops and slows down most. If you open up your gate you will see this is the point where the window slide attached to the glass slides over the scissor part and it rubs BIG time.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When everything is right inside the glass goes up and down in under 4 seconds..at least mine does/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The tracks on the sides are supposed to have felt which reduces friction and keeps the glass from hanging up on the mechanism...

The bars attached to the glass have UHMW rollers that commonly end up with flat spots...

Rene

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

in the diagram on my truck number 44 is rubbing against the scissor arm thing that 29 and 30 attach to. Its definetally rubbing heavy cause I can watch it when i use the cordless adn there are visible scrapes on the arm.

9. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

So you don't have to take the whole thing apart..... try centering the window every so often. Roll it up about half way then grab it on each far end and slide it back and forth until you've centered it. At that point it will have about 1/2 and inch of right or left movement. I find that mine will come off center once in a while and then meet a lot of resistance on one side or the other. I wish I had barn doors!

Ive done everything else that you guys have...New motor, regulator, nice new soft felt swipes, key switch etc.. its just a poor design.

I'd also recommend giving the motor a little help by pulling up on the window a bit when you're raising it.. it will last a longer.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Inspect the side tracks that the glass slides up and down in (looks like number 48 in dorians diagram) There should be a felt guide glued in that track. It's pretty common for the felt to be missing entirely...and that is a big part of interference inside the gate.

Rene

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I would give it a hand but my key doesn't work. Can only operate the window from the switch mounted next to the headlight switch.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you like, you can search for my tailgate post a few months back, I had the same problem as you, key didn't work. Easy fix once you dig in.

13. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

VERY COMMON....it's as common as left blinkers that won't shut off automatically and scratched rear windows. I've torn mine completely apart and replaced the guts AND glass and it worked for a month and now does the same thing. The only way I can get it to go up when it sticks (only sticks when rolling it up) is to get out and "jiggle" the tailgate a little...and since it's all new and TIGHTLY installed there isn't much reason for it. Just be lucky that your blinker shuts off, your brakes don't rattle yet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

What we all need is some brainiac to build us a torque doubler or an electrical engineer to find a way to double the output of the motor.
    Gotta be someone out there with some brains!!!

15. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

My Buddy replaced the wires from the switch and battery with 10 guage marine grade wire, which in turn increases current flow, and cured his slow gate problems. I got the wire but much like every thing else have not got to it yet.

-Matt

16. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I did. Replacing the wire helped a lot. Also, the window channels that SHOULD have the felt in them is missing on mine. I just crammed it with graphite lube like I did the rest of the window mechanism and mine works better now than it ever has, but I always try to have the engine running when doing it to give it more juice.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I found sometimes if you rev it up to like 2000RPMs while puting the window up it goes faster.

18. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

A quick google search and I found this http://www.redarc.com.au/vb.htm , it shoud work awesome for boosting voltage to your window motor. I didn't look at it too long and didn't see a price. Im sure it's expensive but there are posibilities for manufactured voltage boosters.

19. K5Psycho

K5Psycho Registered Member

i took apart my rear panel and lubbed it up nice with grease and it is nice and slick goes up and down in like 6 secs dunno sometimes it still hums going down lol

20. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

If you haven't done so already, try replacing the drive cable between the motor and regulator. Makes a HUGE improvement for about $25.00 from your dealer.