Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dragon66, May 16, 2004.

1. dragon66

dragon66 Registered Member

I was moving some stuff in my jimmy and had the tailgate open when unloading and heard a loud pop. Thought nothing of it and when I went to close the tailgate glass was falling out from the bottom of the tailgate. To make a long story short, what would cause the window to shatter inside the tailgate and where to find a cheap replacement.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Just about anthing can cause tempered glass to pop, I worked in a glass place for 6 yrs a few yrs ago and seen them pop just by looking at them. But typically they pop if they are hit just right or by stress. Pick up a good used one from a wrecking yard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Like he said, Anything could cause it. If the widow track felt has gone away, and the window is only in the steel track, it can pop. If the tracks are k-rusty, and the window goes down crooked, it will strees the glass. I don't know where you are, but I have extra tailgate glass. I'm in albany NY.

4. dragon66

Located in Denver, the track is pretty well rusted, not good at installation. Broke it the last time when I put in a new motor.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, when you go to replace the window, i'd replace the side tracks and felt also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and seen them pop just by looking at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be hideous people working there to make them break /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The rear glass broke in my inlaws fullsize bronco. Upon further investigation one of the torsion springs used to help lift the tailgate broke and slapped into the glass /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Located in Denver, the track is pretty well rusted, not good at installation. Broke it the last time when I put in a new motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to get a glass pretty easy for it in Denver. Go down to Colorado Auto and Parts. Its just of Santa Fe and Radcliff in Englewood. Last time I was down there They had at least 3-4 good solid K-5's in the yard. I was looking for the rear window regulator and I want to say at least one of them still had the glass in it.

If you strike out there I know for sure where there is a yard with a couple. Its a U-Pull it up in Greeley on the east side of town. I know the last time I was up there (where I finally found a good regulator) they had at least a half dozen K-5's and most of them had the rear glass in tact. Its a drive but they usually have good stuff that does not get picked apart as quickly as the yards down in Denver do.

9. dragon66

Thanks, will have to check those places out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Not very good with the installation, broke it before trying to put a new motor.

10. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its tricky, but not overly hard. I would say the best way I got the glass back into mine was to get the regulator at least halfway down in its travel. Then slide the glass back in CAREFULLY!!!! With the access cover off you can see your progress. Just remember if you feel resistance, don't force it, it will pop! The key is to hit the tracks on the sides and make it go down evenly.

While the glass is out I'd pull the tracks that bolt to the glass and de-rustify them and lube them up. Those tracks are prone to rust from a leaky window seal. The rusty tracks add resistance for the power window regulator and one more reason for it to fail.