Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Jun 16, 2005.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hello all,

My rear electric window finally pooped. Its not the motor though, i think its the connection for the key because the motor runs like a champ. Is there a way just to replace this connection? Would it be better to try and convert over to the manual window crank. Your thoughts and solutions please. Thanks for the info guys!

--Adam

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you can operate the window from the switch on the dash and not by the key in the tailgate then it's more than likely the safety switch in the tailgate. It's located on the inside of the gate next to the latch on the driver's side. Test it by putting a jumper across the terminals and see if it works. If it does then the switch may have some corrosion and need cleaning.
    If neither the key in the tailgate or the dash switch work then you may have other problems. But we need a little more info. How do you know the motor runs like a champ?

3. nau81blazer

Well the switch up front doesn't work either. When the key was working, you had to turn it pretty hard in either direction to get the window to move, but when it did move it had no problem moving the window up and down. I did try flipping those safety switchs so that the tailgate would be "closed", but still no movement. Some other info: When it was working it always seem to work better going down, as far as the key in the tailgate. I would start the motor without very much movement of the key....hopefully that makes sense :crazy:

Thanks for the help!

--Adam

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

This statement leads me to believe that you have a corrosion buildup inside the key switch itself. It's been a few years since I've been inside my tailgate, but if I remember correctly the wires from the dash are connected to the key switch in the tailgate (someone who's been inside their gate more recently can yea or nay this). I'd remove the key switch, disassemble and clean it, and reassemble with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. It definitely sounds electrical since the window would move freely when it did work, so that rules out sticky window guides or the window binding on worn out felt/rubber.

5. nau81blazer

Cool,

Well i'll have to get in there and see if I can clean it up. Hopefully that is the problem. Thanks for your help. Anyone else that has any ideas/tricks/tests, i'm all ears. Thanks again,

--Adam