Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Dec 12, 2001.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 k5 6" superlift 35" ssr's and my rear window it works from the switch inside but the key switch outside does not work and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and could give me a few tips thanx.

2. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

my key doesn't work either.............never really bothered me, but I would first look at the contacts where it connects to the key unit in the tailgate, the ground, or possibly the whole unit itself......worse case pick up a junker, swap out the key unit and use a different key for the tailgate....just my $.02

<font color=red>81</font color=red><font color=blue>Bogger<font color=blue>
    "<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Same problem here, I took it apart and the lock cylinder contains the electrical connections that control the window from outside the truck. This gets moisture in it and corrodes. Mine was so bad I couldnt get the key in the lock. You will need to pull it apart and eaither clean the connections out or if its too bad get a new lock switch..LMC has them for like $50 or somthing...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check that the switch is getting voltage. IIRC, there are two plugs for the tailgate, one 12V always, and two that are the wires from teh in-cab switch. The plugs are under the drivers side of the tailgate. No reason to rip the whole tailgate apart if the problem isn't the switch. I've got a tailgate keyswitch gremlin too, but its somewhere up near the cab/firewall, as I don't get constant 12V back there.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Thanx guys for the reply its not really that big of a deal to me either but something I would just like to get working again.