Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Jul 27, 2000.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a 1991 K5 Blazer and i have just noticed that when i rolled up my rear window, on the way in to work today, there was a click or bang, like the tailgate latch was pulled. I do not know what it was or what to look for. Any one have any ideas? I have not ever hear this before but i know it was from that area.
    Thanks,
    Brett Cox

White 1991 K5 and a White Cobalt.... What is better

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my 89 does that. a little clunk or something when you roll it up, right?
    i haven't checked it yet, it's been doing it for over a year now, with no ill effects, apparently.
    let us know what you discover.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

My 89's been doing it for 2 1/2 years. Hasn't caused a problem yet. Its on my long list of things to fix. The passenger sidewindow did something similar, a bracket just need bent out of the way, this MAY be a similar problem in the rear.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The glue in the track that holds the window might be getting loose. This is what happened to mine When you roll the window down it gets stuck a little on one side and that side doesn't go all the way down. When you roll it up the bang is the window going back in the track

90K5

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem . Found the problem in the inspection panel . It had a slight bend in it . Take it off and roll the window up and down without it . If it goes away there is your problem . I took it off and straightened it . The only problem is it's short lived because it bends so easy .

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

7. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nope, just open your tailgate and you'll see a panel that is held on with a bunch of screws . Remove those and the panel just slips off . Then close your gate and work the window . If problem goes away it's in that panel . If not you'll need to look at the tracks and cable . Good luck .

8. azgmc

azgmc Registered Member

Glad to know mines not the only '89 with that problem.

Other than the "bang", no one has experienced any problems with it so I would suggest it be left alone. Remember the old addage, "If it aint broke then dont fix it"

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

Is there a good book that tells everthing about my Blazer, and what is the price and name(s)? With my honda i had a service man. It told me ever little thing about my car. With that book i replaced all the door windows (damm radio theives), heater system, radiator, start, CV Jonts, installed an alarm, and a ton more. The car had 250k miles when i got rid of it. Any way.... Any good books that you think are good, and thanks for ALLLLLL the Info

Brett
    Go to the Lake or 4Wheel this weekend?????? BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://brettmcox.coloradok5.com/

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

mine did it all the time when i had the 15 subs pointed at it...then i changed the position and it hasn't stopped popping and snapping when i roll it up and down...

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

11. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have the Haynes-manunal. It's allright. The pop or bang you hear I imagine is the window missing the rod that allowes you to open your tailgate. The window pushes down on a "hook" when it reaches the bottom. After years being abused the hook bends away alitle. Making the "hook" sometimes travel on the side of the window instead. Then it slips off the window when you roll it back upp. Creating the pop that you hear.

I will have a complete picture-series of tearing apart the tailgate upp on my CK5 site by next weekend.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

12. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

Espen...when you do the pictures try to get a close up of the handle mechanism...Bryans (the son) key mechanism doesn't open the door or the window from the rear...ours is electric. Wonder if the wires are just not attached?,,,anyway would appreciate good close up pix...looking forward to them.

Bob

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

13. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

No problem. Getting the key to work was the first thing I did when I got mine. The pictures are being developed and I'l try to get them scanned and posted this weekend

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>