Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Jan 4, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 K5 Silverado, it has an electric tailgate window. Problem is, the only way I can open and close it is by using the switch on the dash, this means when I want to get into the back I have to open the truck, lean in and hold the switch, run round to the back, open the tailgate using the inside handle, Is the door key not supposed to operate the electric window from outside? If it is, has anyone any ideas why mine isn't working? Also, what can I do about my smokey engine?

2. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem. The key in the back does not do anything.

"K5 Grand GT in the Netherlands."

3. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

Mine doesn't do it either , but I was under the impression that there was a switch in the key and that mine was bad...am I wrong here? I was getting ready to tear mine down and replace the switch...is ther not even one there. did chevy build these things like that?

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

[​IMG]

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The window was designed to be opened and closed from the key switch in the rear. If the window is operating from the dash switch then the problem is obviously in the switch in the tailgate. There are several sources for switches, but my experience with mail order is not good so I generally go to the dealer for parts like this, but others may differ.

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The switch in the tail gate works sort of like a three way light switch in your house. There are three wires that go to the switch, one is hot, one is the window up and the other is the window down. If I remember right, the wire for the window up is routed to the safety switch on the drivers side catch on the tailgate. Check the connections below the tailgate to see if they are still connected and aren't corroded. If that checks okay, then you'll have to open the gate, remove the panel and gain access to the switch. You will have to pull the drivers side latch out to bypass the safety switch and roll the window up with the tailgate down. Use something to support the window in this configuration. The wiring is connected to the switch with a little flat lock disc. Remove the disc and the connector from the switch. Use a jumper wire and short out two wires at a time in the connector to see if the window moves. If it does then the problem is in the switch. If it doesnt then there is a problem with power to the tailgate. If the window moves up or down, the switch comes out with the bezel by removing two 7/16 nuts. The switch is located at the end of the key tumbler assembly. You can take it apart carefully and see if anything is broken inside or if the contacts are burnt or if the cam that operates the switch is sheared off. I think Chevy still carries this part. That's about all to the switch in the tailgate. If the front switch is working, then if everything is still connected to the back, then the rear switch should work. Good Luck.

6. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

Mine will open with the key hole, but it wont close. Don't know what kind of scense that makes?

7. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

there are two connectors that are in betwwen the gate and the tail pan when the gate is down check these connections before you go ripping apart the gate i found this out the hard way. i have had my truck for 3 winters and every december the outside switch doesnt want to work and every march it decides to work again

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

you can replace the switch in the tail gate or repair it. I re[aired mine and it still works great 2 years later and saved myself 60.00 for a new one. If interested...just ask...

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

mrbob~
    where in nc is red springs?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter