Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear yoke/Brake shoe ??'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackwidowk5, Nov 1, 2001.

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

rear yoke/Brake shoe ??\'s

Okay, i've got 2 questions. First Does the primary brake shoe go ont he front or the back of the drum? I already took the old setup off and forgot which went where.
    Secondly, i snapped a bolt that goes into the rear yoke which holds the drive shaft. The hole is pretty much screwed, and i wanted to know what you guys think I should do. I could try and drill it out and tap the hole bigger, which would be a pain and the ass and cause some problems. Or can i simply get a new yoke from the junk yard and replace? Does removing the yoke mess up the spacing of the pinion gear?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, It's about time to get my blazer back on road. Thanks

2. 4x4x454

4x4x454 Registered Member

Re: rear yoke/Brake shoe ??\'s

Well, that makes 2 of us... last week, I snapped a U-joint strap bolt in my front 10-bolt axle yoke (aka pinion flange), while tightening it back up, after greasing the U-joint. Basicly, over-torqued it, and sheared the bolt. So, I center-punched it, and drilled about a 5/32" hole about 1/2" deep into the part of the bolt stuck in the yoke. That was a pain to keep the drill straight, going in square & perpendicular to the yoke. After that, I started (kinda tapped) the screw extractor (aka "easy-out") into the drilled hole. It got tight, and then "snap!"... broke the screw extractor too!! Now, I have a yoke with a bolt and screw extractor stuck deep down in it.... I think I'm "screwed" now, and have resorted to just finding a new, or used, yoke. My repair manual states that you can remove the yoke, but scribe a line on the pinion and pinion nut, and count the number of revolutions when you remove it. Then, when you tighten it back up, tighten it that exact same amount, and line up the line segments. That's my experience... tons of fun, huh? Good luck.

3. eastk5

eastk5 Registered Member

The primary shoe is the front one, which if i remember correctly is the shorter of the two shoes.

4. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

east k5 is right it is the smaller one

high