Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rearc or replace

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 72jim, Jul 2, 2001.

1. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

i have a 72 jimmy with a 4" lift 35" bfg's 350/350 and i'm pretty sure 4:10 gears. it's a rough country lift and the springs are now flat,my truck rides like a log wagon and i need to fix it.is rough country worth the rearc or should i replace the lift? if so with whose lift?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 72jim on 07/04/01 01:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

all the experience I've had with rearced springs is bad. Spring steel has a memory, and the springs usually lose a noticable amount of arc.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear it's not just me....I have set of Rough Country springs too (4" lift) and they ride terribly. Whenever the front hits a bump it feels like the whole front end is coming off the ground. My front leaves look completely flat (no arch). I thought it might have been from the addtion of a big block motor (more weight) but from your comments, maybe it's because of the Rough Country springs.

A lot of guys here seem to like the Tough Country springs. They are some of the softest riding springs you can get, and people seem to like them. Not too expensive either, so that's probably what I will try next.....that, and a shackle flip for the rear. That allows you to remove the blocks, but still get a 4" lift with a stock spring. Should help things ride smooth in the back also. ORD sells the shackle flip as well as the Tough Country springs. They also add in some parts for the springs that aren't normally included when you buy from a typical "mail order" shop, so it's probably worth the extra few bucks....

-Greg72

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

How long have you had the lift springs on your truck. Im curious because i'd like to know how long they last.

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've had decent luck with re-arched springs, but I would just recommend getting some new lift springs. Re-arching should work with lower arches, like re-vamping stock springs, that kind of thing. For a lift spring, you should just get new ones. Keep in mind that some lift springs will be mostly flat at ride height, but ride quality is determined by the number and thickness of leaves in the pack. Rate won't change as they sag, just ride height.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://offroaddesign.com/images/tracks1.jpg[/image]
    SW-ORD

6. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

well i baught the truck about 11 months ago and the guy i got it from said the lift was about 2-3 years old. i don't know about the quality of other lifts just the one thats on my truck

7. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

right on, i'll check it out. thanks

8. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info.every bit helps