Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rearend Identification

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5bushhog, Jun 15, 2001.

1. k5bushhog

k5bushhog Registered Member

I just bought a 72 K5 3 weeks ago and I was going to do a brakejob on the rear drums. The parts I ordered didnt seem to work, I suspect the rearend is from a later year. Are there any numbers on the rearend that I could use to identify the year of manufacture so that I can get correct parts. BTW, I really enjoy this message board, ya'll are a good bunch.

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

The GM corprate 12 bolt was used in the rear end I believe till 79 or 80 when they made the transition to the 10 bolt. What part did you order that didn't fit. The parts store might have given you the wrong part.
    Don't you love it when they ask you if your truck is fourwheel drive when you ask for front U-joints, or replacement axle up front. Thats when you know you have a top notch auto parts person working for you.
    Once I was buying a new Cv boot for my S-10 and the guy looked at me and said " I didn't relize S-10 where front wheel drive". I didn't say a thing I just let it go at that.
    Here I am rambling on. I hope I answered your question.

As far as the 12 bolts go there pretty much all the same.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    http://www.geocities.com/71blazer

3. k5bushhog

k5bushhog Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Raspberry, I was replacing the shoes, drums and cylinder. The new wheel cylinder(the 72 replacement part) was a different angle where the brakeline threads into it compared to the part which was on there, I took the old cylinder to the store and they pulled a 73 replacement cylinder and it was identical. I guess the safe thing to do is pull out the old parts and take them to the store and compare them to the new parts rather than buy them prior to the teardown. Thanks again for the reply.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Quite often, the parts books are just plain wrong. I used to have an '89 Toyota 4Runner and every time I went to get front brake pads for it (three times while I owned it), the parts books in the parts stores called out the wrong pad (amongst other things being wrong for that vehicle). I have found some of the stuff wrong in the parts stores for my American-made machines too, but the brake pads stand out in my mind...