Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rearend not shimmed right or a U Joint?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkyScraper, Aug 1, 2003.

1. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

My 79 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif blazer has been in and out of the shop most of the month of July and some of June. My fishing this year has been minimal since /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Anyhow When I got my truck back from the shop a few weeks ago, it started making a popping sound and it's coming from the front - really it sounds like the ujoint between the axle and the half shaft. That's what I took it into the shop to have done this week. The shop that looked at said it was the differental not shimmed correctly.

Now let me give a little history here. The truck was in the shop from the end of June to sometime around the middle of July. In that time I had the ball joints replaced and I had a pinion seal replaced. 1 company did one job, and another company did the other job. The company that did the Ball joints looked at this truck and told me that it was the differental like stated above. The other company did the pinion seal and also found the axle seals leaking, so I had those replaced to. As you know you have to disassemble the entire axle housing to replace these or maybe just for my model? Anyhow They also said (and I might have got taken on these, I still wonder?? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif) that I had some more bad components, which are - a axle (inner) passenger /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, the yoke (pinion) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, and a Wheel hub passenger /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. which they were replaced. I paid $1100 for this repair /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. So know when I get it back and I pull it into drive it sounds fine and I drive it...but if I stop and put the shifter into reverse and keep the brake on it will make this extremly loud pop. The shop that did the Ball joints says it is the pinion remeshing with the ring gear, which makes sense to me. But I wanted to get some of your feedbacks to what you think it might be. I have checked the driveshafts they are all tight and in good shape. Also I have the NP203 and run 4 wheel drive all the time.

One other thing (which this is the reason I thought it was a Ujoint) before when i first got it back, it wasn't a real loud pop and it didn't just happen when would pull it into reverse but if you started to roll back with the wheel turned then it would POP. After it made the pop the first time you, can't remake it (or at least I can't) unless I drive it aways, then place it into reverse. But now it does it like I mentioned above that I can be sitting in one spot put it into reverse and POP!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't know what to do...it's going back into the other shop (pinion seal shop) on Monday but I'm afraid I'm going to have a fight on my hands, if it is the shims. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me!

TIA,

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

What lift are you running?

I can see if you are over 6" of lift and you need to shim the front axle. But generally, most people don't need to shim the front. So I doubt this is your problem.

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifWholly smokes for $1100 .... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You shouldn't hear any pop for any reason. There is something else loose.. Checked your steering box lately?

Do you have an Auto-Tranny? When I had my auto, I found my 203 shifting from Drive to Reverse I would get more of clunk, than an POP. My 203's chain was loose.

Check all your frame rivets and cross-members. I can see a popping if one or more rivets are missing.

I would be pretty Pissed is I broght my truck in for a popping and they charged $1100 and it still pops. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Good luck.

3. SkyScraper

No lift it's Stock.

For $1100 I got 3 new parts, and 3 new seals along with plenty of labor.

I'll will check my steering box.

Yes I have an Auto Trans....so are you saying the chain in my transfer case is lose...maybe?

Well I was out driving with my wife when we got it back. I took a turn that pushed up on one of the wheels into the wheel well and since then it has been making a strange sound. It's hard to hear but it's there. Sounds like a chunk or rust rubbing up against something. But I was underneath the body looking around and the body mount is rusted pretty darn bad and I often wonder if I didn't flex that body mount a little to much.

As for Rivets I'm not sure what those are or where they are? Are they just down the frame itself or what? Can you expand on this a little further so I know what to look for this evening?

I am pretty pissed about the whole deal because it didn't pop when I took it in. I only had a couple of leaks (Pinion and axle seal). Now it's poping and I still can't go fishing... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks for the reply and the insight!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I guess I mis-understood what you were saying.

When does it pop?

If it pops when you turn the wheel, you could have a crack in the frame at the steering box. Your rivets near the front of the frame that hold the frame crossmembers in place - could be missing or loose.

It could be your body mounts.. loose, broken, missing etc.

If it's an axle issue - that would be scary since they just did all that work.

I thought somebody else would have replied by now too...

5. SkyScraper

Well I got under it today and looked at it a bit before I take it in on MOnday afternoon.

This is what I have found. When you put in drive it does not make a pop, but when I put in reverse (the wheels are striaght and I don't move the wheel what so ever) I get this POP! So I put the truck in neutral turn off the engine and proceed underneath the truck. I marked the drive shaft and the rearend with a line. I rotated the driveshaft almost a 1/2" before it stopped. I went to the back of the truck and done the same thing and that driveshaft only rotated about 1/8" or less. That tells me that the clearance is off inside the differental.

I don't want to know what kind of damage this has incurred since I got this truck back. That's a A LOT of extra wear on the ring and pinion gear.

On top of that it is pretty sad that a company like them (big company here) would let something like that slip through the cracks. Or they are setting me up to spend more money... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Is 1/2" is to much clearance?

Thanks, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

WOw, I thought for sure somebody more knowledgeable than me would have replied.

I think mine have ~ 1/2 slop in them too....

I don't know if this is acceptable or not. Sorry.

Good luck.

I hope someone else replies tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

That much slop seems like way too much for a gear set. I would bring this problem back to the mechanic immediately. That is unacceptable service. Most reputable mechanics will stand behind there work. Personally I wouldn't wait another day.

Keep us updated.

8. SkyScraper

I sure will let you know what the Mechanic says, when I take it into them tonight.

Thanks for the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. SkyScraper

Well here is what the mechanics are saying the problem is.

They are saying there is no backlash in the rearend and the problem is only in the Transfer case and that the chain is going out. It's only a coincidence that the sound started after we repaired it. I called another shop and told them about the problem they said it most likly a combination of the 2. Which I could understand that. If that's the case then the Mechanic should at least fix the differential. I know that won't happen...and I don't have the cash to get the truck fixed anymore. I won't sell it, but I can't fix it either. Unless someone buys my '87 S10 Blazer from me.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't know what to do or think today./forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards,
    Scott