Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rearend problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LlanoK5, Nov 15, 2002.

1. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

The other day I was backing into my driveway when my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif came to a sudden stop. Today I finally got open up the diff. It turns out that one of ring bolts backed out, and several more seem to be headed that way. The gears look OK, but there is some slack in them. Is it possible to buy just the ring bolts? And do I need to get my rearend looked at (by someone who knows what they're doing) to check the set up?

Kirk

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

That happenned to my dad's 76 vette and it trashed the housing, he ended up having to put a whole new rear end in it. Yours may not be that bad because you caught it right away, If you dont know what you are doing it would probably be smart to have someone that know what they are doing look at it, preferably someone really close or someone that can come to your k5 and look at it.

3. you can get the bolts in an install kit for around 100 bucks but you should find out why they came loose and it's a good idea to have a pro set it up for ya. The play you are seeing may be normal you need some, it all depends on how much. It has to be just right or your problems will only get worse. Good luck.

4. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

After thinking back to when I bought it, the guy said that the previous owner had put in a new rearend. So he had one of his mechanic friends match the front gears. Therefore the gears are 2 - 3 years old. Anyway, I checked to local Chevy house, and they happen to 6 of the bolts on hand. I bought them (a whole $15). Got the proper torque specs. And went back to work. Of the 10 bolts, one was completly out, one backed out some and bent, six I took out without a wrench, and the other two needed just a little pressure to break loose. Nothing to keep them in there. I cleaned everything up, put some lock-tite on them and torqued them to 90 ft-lb (per specs). Put it all back together and it works great, now if only I had a fresh engine to put in it (but that's another post). Thanks for the advice and such.

Kirk