Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rearend vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RAY, Nov 7, 2000.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a vibration, more like a shimmy, coming from the rear of my K5. I have replaced the u-joints and the the shimmy didn't go away. I have a 15-yr old 3 in lift on it and was wondering if shims would fix this. Any suggestion would be greatly apprecated.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have you checked to make sure your u-bolts were all tight and that your wheels/tires are in balance? Also is your driveshaft dented?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Try the "rotate one of you u-joints 180 degrees in the yoke" trick and see if it works. I have a small vibration in mine and that the only thing I havent tried yet to see if it will quite.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I keep reading and hearing about marking the driveshaft so that it goes back in exactly as it came out. What is this for? And what happens if you dont? I can see that it would really make all that much difference, but this could be the reason for some of my clunking.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

wheel bearings could be a possibility also, as gor the u-joint, there is a slim chance that it could be defective........js

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

When someone originally built your shifeshaft, they balanced it and added weight as neccessary so it's good and balanced.
    When you change ujoints, if you don't put it back in exactly the same you have changed the balance of it - for the worse.
    I just grab one of my daughter's pieces of chalk and mark it - a no-brainer. No vibes.
    BTW, if your driveshaft spline are very worn, it is impossible to balance it - it must be replaced. I'm going through that with my front driveshaft right now.
    Good luck on the vibes.
    -- Mike

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If I'm thinking of "shimmy" the same way you are, you could have a slightly bent axleshaft.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!