Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rearend whine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lugnut, May 29, 2002.

1. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I have a whine under light aceloration I'm thinking its the rearend. Coasting it doesnt do it and seems like its not as bad if you realy get on it or maybe the pipes drown it out. I think the rear is a dana 70 its in a 85 duelly. I have checked the u joints and center suport bearing. Anyone got any ideas pinun bearing maybe?

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Somebody told me once to be careful replacing that seal back there. If you tighten it down incorrectly that can happen.

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

A mechanic told me that normally axle bearing howl or whine when they are going out so you might check that out. It alot cheaper than a rearend I just had my 10 bolt rebuilt with a posi unit and it cost me about 1700. I had slackbetween the ring and pinion due to hard shifts and it made chirping noises going around short fast turns, like turning into some place from the middle lane. I would check out the axle bearing first. I ahd someone on hear tell me that you can do this by jacking up the rearend and putting the the tranny in drive with the engine at idle. If the either of the back wheels wobble in our out then check the bearing on that side. YOu might get a better response to this if you asked about the rear axcle bearing directly. hope that helps some.

4. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Thanks its a full floater so the axle dosnt ride on a bearing. Should have said it was a full floater before. Probly be next week before I get a chance to pull the cover on it.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what mine did too. sounds like bad carrier or pinion bearings