Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rearend whining

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Steve, Nov 14, 2005.

1. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I just had new axles and an Eaton installed in my k5 after my gov bomb incedent and now it whines/hums really loud when off the gas or going around a right hand turn.The mechanic said the the ring gear probably wore do to the gov lock being cracked all the way around and now that it is back to normal,it whines.Could he be right?I am going to take it back for the 14 day check up but I am kinda nervous aout the noise

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

It shouldn't make any noise, at alldon't let these guys tell you otherwise.

3. shifter

shifter Newbie

Whining is bad. Period. Something's not set up right.

4. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I know it shouldn't whine but could it really be from the ring gear wairing down to how the carrier was snapped?What would cause it to howl going around right hand turns?

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

It's theoretically possible, but realistically improbable. The right hand turn thing makes me think that there is something incorrect about the new diff, so that when the right wheel's shaft is back-peddling against the left's, it's whining. Definately go back to them and make them check it out. If it was your gears you should always whine so long as the axle is being powered.

6. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Link doesn't work. But it shouldn't matter, anything new shouldn't be screw up.

8. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I just talked to Summits tech support and he said that the pinion depth isn't set right so I called the shop and I am dropping it off at 8am tomorrow so they can fix it.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

mine whines and groans too, but i know for a fact it's because i reused the old bearing that came with the ring and gear set from the previous owner, and the race that was already in the diff,,,they don't match :D

it was only a temporary thing, i guess, if you consider temporary over one year,,, :doah: :p:

to me though, it sounds like a bearing problem, mine really groans when i let off the gas too, "freewheelin" or "floating" the components.

10. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I dropped it off and he said he would redo it once but he garanteed me that it would still hum and I told him if it still did it then I would take it back as many times as I needed to,to get it fixed.I talked to my other gear guy and he said that if it was the ring gear that it would always whine.If it still does it when I get it back I will take it to him.He said he would tell me exactly what it was and wouldn't charge me.

11. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

Well,yesterday he pulled and reinstalled the diff 7 times,each one getting worse.He said one of the times it was a little better but still hummed.He asked if he could finish up today and I said yes.He called at 9:30 am to say he was going to buy me a new set of Richmond 3.73's on him for the trouble this is for me.He is going to go in and work on it tomorrow(sunday)to get it installed for me.Thought it was pretty cool of him to buy the gears.

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sounds like good customer service to me :wink1:

13. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

Well,it started doing it again!The 1st 100 miles was great,no noise at all,now it's whining around the right hand turns off the gas and coasting to a stop.I don't know if the weren't broken in properly or if the backlash needs to be adjusted again.Any gear guys know what else it would be with the ring & pinion?Maybe the bearings he used?I got into a yelling argument with the shop,he insisted it was the gears so he replaced em and now he insists it's the Eaton making the noise.I told him so much for being a gm rearend expert and that he has no idea what he's talking about and that he is just fishing trying to come up with excuses.

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

WOAH WOAH WOAH. I rebuild axles everday, let me try and help you here.

Let me get things straight. YOu had a gov lock that was cracked, or whatever, basically no good. He then installed an Eaton Posi.

Heres what happenes when you drive with a broken carrier, the ring and pinion wear incorrectly. It sounds to me like all he did was take out the gov loc and install the Eaton, and that is in no way the correct procedure. When you do that, espically with an already f*ed R&P it gonna be all up a cats ass.

After he put in the new set of gears he obviously didnt set them up correctly, there shouldnt be any problems with a new gearset if set up correctly.

If he knew what he was doing he would have checked the backlash and did a contact pattern check, to determine if the R&P was ok, or needed replacing. Then he should have checked to see if the axles were fine or needed replacing, cleaned the housing out, put new R&P, eaton, bearings, races, axle bearings and seals. EVERYTHING!

Im curious, is this a differential shop or what?

15. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

He installed new Superior 30 spline axles,Eaton posi,and all new bearings.He just called me today and said he was sorry for the argument and he wanted to make things right.He said that a friend of his said that it may be the amount of springs in the carrier,4 or 8. :confused: He wanted to take the Eaton apart and remove springs and see if that helped,I said no,if by chance it was the carrier then I couldn't return it.He then said that he could order a new oe posi unit from the dealer that was better than the gov lok,don't know if that's possible,and I could return my Eaton for the 440 bucks back.The old r&p was worn out but he didn't tell me till he was giving the truck back.He then sprung for a set of Richmonds and it was fine till about 100 miles then it started again,that's when he insisted it was the carrier.I talked to Richmond tech service and he said the backlash may be off my .003 or it wasn't worn in properly.It's a transmission shop but the owner and the tech working on it is supposed to be a "rearend expert".

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

It is NOT the carrier, that has no effect on the R&P pattern. Its not set up correct, its that easy. Theres nothing wrong with the posi, taking out springs wont help. Just take it to a differential shop and get a quality gearset, set up properly.