Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reason for using atf in SM465?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stock93, Mar 30, 2005.

1. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

Do the blocker rings in the sychronizers have friction material just like auto trans clutches on them or are the all brass? I'm wondering if thats why they switched the spec.

John

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

all brass/bronze

they might have tightened the specs on the parts..........

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Only reason I can think of is fuel economy. Just like in an engine, lighter oil robs less power. That and they started using the 208s which also ran ATF. Personally, I've never seen a 465 that didn't use 90 wt.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When we rebuild them we put 30wt or 10-30, NOT ATF in a 465. It makes it easier to shift.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got a question about that, and I don't think this is going off topic because it's being recommended to run engine oil instead of tranny fluid or gear oil.

Part of the whole X miles or 6 months oil change interval I *thought* had to do with the oil mixing with water from condensation and making some kind of acid.

I know the 203 ran oil, and so do the axles, I'm just curious what the deal is as to why it seems to be ok to run oil for an unlimited amount of time in some components, when part of the schedule for engine oil change is related to time, not usage. :confused:

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Engines always have PCV and gasoline contamination to deal with... Differentials might move air in and out of them in the grand scheme of a cup a day. Automatic transmissions are a closed loop and virtually never see any outside contaminants... manuals don't move much air in and out of them either. Due to shearing and heat they usually recommend the fluids other than the motor oil be changed at 20,000 miles.

I'm 99% sure the reason why you change engine oil is due to contaminants... I know I never get 3,000 miles out of my oil before it's contaminated.

But anyway, I am planning on running 80w90 in the 465. The slingers and stuff seem to be set up for gear oil. I know the guts on the various T5s (I've got a lot of experience on them) changed with changing requirements of fluid. I also know that some transmissions (like Chrysler's AX5 and AX15) like a specific kind of fluid for different years or else they shift poorly and wear fast (usually require GL3).

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oil wears out, when its old it loses viscosity totally, runs like water, it gets horrible,,

seen it a million times

engine oil in the 465! never thought of that lol, damn im gonna do it in the 71 dually,

and am going to run oil in the p/s system too, have done such in the past for years, its great, makes for slick steering and no leaks

works great

and just in time for better weather/spring coming on

good thread :D

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok i put 15w40 in the 465 in the 71 dually and just now i got back in here from driving the truck for the first time and let me tell you... its horrible the trans takes forever to stop spinning and its impossible to return to 2nd gear while the truck is rolling cuz it will grind.. until you get it almost completely stopped(like 2 mph or less, heh)

it sucks

so i am draining the 15w40 and putting in 90 weight gear oil back in it

was bad idea to run anything but gear oil in it

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Now you gotta try it with ATF! :)

Thanks for saving the rest of us the time/effort of trying engine oil.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol i aint trying ATF haha

no way in hell

alsthough i am running atf in the power steering but its gonna take alot of running to get the whine noiseout of the pump when am turning, but it got better today already,

am going back to 90 weight gear lube

and nothin else

it just wont shift right without 90 weight, just will not stop spinning without it.,,.

:frown1:

and personally i dont see much fuel mileage savings form going with thinner viscosity oil in a tranny like this, not any savings you could tell anwyays,,

not in an old rig like this,

thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I said straight 30 wt, not 15-40, and thats for newer trannies, that are generally tighter.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

doesnt matter really, to me anyways,
    its all too thin

not gonna do that again lol

going back to 90 weight regardless

thanks