Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reasonable backing plate for 10B rear disks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Nov 11, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

anybody know of a source where I can get reasonable price backing plates to do a rear disk conversion on a 10B axle?

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Jeff, You could ask Grin-reaper or Therobzilla about the kits that they have installed. Grim is going to do a tech article in the near future. There is a little more to doing these kits for the 10/12 bolts since you have to remove the axle and drill the lug bolt holes larger for the longer and larger lug bolts needed. Then the rotor (modified) is installed on the inside of the axle flange. Its not rocket science but alittle more work than the 14 bolt.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Bill's (45apc) kit comes with everything but the calipers and hoses. You do use a stock front rotor but the center has to be machined to fit the machined surface on the axle shaft. Bill's Kit comes with the rotor ready to go. When you figure in the cost of the rotors his kit is inline with everybody elses brackets. Short of owning a mill you would be hard pressed to come out any cheaper than what he can supply you with.
    I installed the kit this weekend. Bills stuff was the easy part. Now I'm sorting the the caddie calipers parking brake.
    I'm going to be trying a few different things. There is so much conflicting information floating around on what to do with the proportioning valve and some other issues. The truck stops good but I'm not happy with the peddle feel. I may have some air in the lines or it may be an issue with the PV. So next thing will be a rebleed and if that doesn' clear it up I'm going to dissasseble the PV and cripple it so it becomes just a distribution block. The light on the dash would still function to let you know a circuit has lost pressure. Hopefully I will have this all sorted out in the next week and have a good detailed write up that clears up some of murky mess going around.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I used stock front backing plates. They were like $10 for the pair from a junkyard. Then I had a machine shop expand the center hole and drill the 4-bolt pattern for about $20. Naturally, they hold stock front rotors.

I did this for a 14B S/F, so the machining would be a little different for a 10B since the axletube is smaller.

My whole rear setup was about $120 for calipers, backing plates, pins, flex hoses, pads and rotors, hardware, etc. and all of the parts are available at any parts store except for the backing plates and little brackets that hold the connection between the hard lines and the flex hoses. Everything was brand new except for the backing plates, but with some cleanup and paint they were as good as new, anyway. If I had more tools, it would have been even cheaper.

5. solowookie

grim - my offroad k5 has got read disks on the 14B FF...

it has stock valve, and mc. it feels really good, and is perfect. I've never had a drop of problems with is except I need to get my butt in gear and get some rear brake cables. it's been about 1 1/2 years with no e-brake, and I've got an sm465. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

how much did you pay for the kit with the backing plates & rotors? (did you actually do this on a 10B, or on another axle?)

6. solowookie

I've got an automatic in this so I will do front calipers. I'm not concerned about the rear e-brakes on this one. shouldn't be too much to do this conversion.

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I dont know about machining the center of the backing plate. I used my angle grinder and cut a slot in one area of the plate so it could slide over the tube. The center opening was the same size. (dana44/ 10 bolt backing plates onto a rear 12 bolt). The only prob was the weld bead around the flange on the end of the axle tube... and again the angle grinder took care of the backing plate hole enough to fit in over snugly. But its up to yourself!.
    Mike

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Bill's kit sells for $185. That includes the brackets, Rotors that have been machined to fit the 10 bolt and 12 bolt axle shafts, all the wheel studs and the nuts and bolts required to mount. Really it's a pretty good deal since the rotors come ready to go.
    What you would have buy is calipers, hoses and guide pins to complete the kit then ssort out the PV problem you might have. Some people don't have a problems.
    The 14 bolt kit kit is $100 even. it comes with the mounting plates and mounting hardware. The stock 3/4 ton rotor from a D44 front is used.
    Here is Bill's page on the disc conversions.
    http://www.a-tron.net/rear_disc_brake_conversion_kits.htm