Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reasonable rollcages/builders in denver area??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Jun 8, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

cut my top off the other day on my 90', whoa the body is doing a lot of flexing just pulling out of my driveway. need to complete my cage a.s.a.f.p. any suggestions?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll probably need to add some bracing underneath the cab as well. Otherwise the cage will probably just tear apart your floor. [​IMG] Might want to compare the underside of yours to the underside of a 73-75 model to see what's different.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

First off we need pics before we can help you. [​IMG] I have a 90 also so I would really like to see them. Call Scott at rockstomper.com on Monday (he is in TTC right now) he does really good work and his prices are very good.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Avalanche builds some pretty sick cages, they are off Sante Fe (Hwy 85) and Titan Rd. Not sure how much you're looking to spend, though. Another way to go is to use the Smitty built as a starting point, last time I priced them the roll bar was $150 and the front kit (weld-on) was $90. I'm assuming you know the floor is different in your's than the factory full convertibles. Not that I think it's a strength issue, just saying the same cage won't fit.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

ya, scott at rockstomper would be my first choice, ive had lots done by him already but he is so backed up and i need this soon. i already have a reg roll bar in mine to build off. i found a company called lazoris in lakewood that charges $10 per bend which i think is pretty resonable. i was thinking of welding 2x6 square tube stalk to the outside of the frame under the cab and/or using 1/4in maby 18"x36" flat stalk and weld it to the floor boards outside of the frame and bolt my roll cage through that. i am also going to connect the roll cage across the bottom front to back and side to side. any other suggestions? by the way steve, if you live in highlands ranch, i only live a few min from you if you want to take a look at it... this is by far the best mod ive done to my k5, i love it fully topless!!!

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, we should hook up.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

8. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

I`m sorry and do not mean to be rude but...If you are going to cut off the top of your truck, wouldn't you have done some research into the bracing before cutting? I`m just thinking that it would save a whole lot of stress on the body as well as on you.

I think you will have to brace the nader pin side of the body right behind the door and the entire cowl. Right now if you get into a front end wreck, your entire dash will fold down onto your lap. Trust me that would hurt. I saw a neat way to tie into your frame with a cage and they built a normal cage that had a plate on the body and then they added another plate on the underside with a tube welded on and connected to the frame. They simply bolted the two plates together through the floor and you are set. This doesn't fix the body flexing part though....

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]