Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REBEL PLUG

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, Mar 31, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Hello friends!
    Today i,ve been trying to extract the glow plugs.I only have extracted 7 plugs.The eighth cilinder plug(last to the left side)doesn,t wants to come out.It turns well to the end of the screw,but then it starts to turns crazy and doesn,t come out.It is swollen.
    How can i extract it with out raise the head?Thanks.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You need to apply pull to the glowplug while unscrewing it. I've done it using a pair of vise grips and a wrench, but a better way is to make a fork like tool to pry on it as you turn it (with a wrench). Make a foot out of heavy guage sheet steel about 2cm x 4cm, cut a notch in one end use an old glowplug as a guide, weld a handle on the opposite end of the foot at a 60+/- degree angle. It's worth the time to make the tool.

Now, worst case scenario: the glow plug tip broke off in the head (prechamber). Pull the injector out and use some hemostats (medical pliers) to grab or a nylon zip-tie to lasso the end of the broken tip. Don't leave broken bits in the engine, bad things will happen.

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've succesfully used a vacuum cleaner to remove broken glow plug parts through the injector holes. Just duct tape a hose to the end of the vacuum hose that fits in the hole. Works great.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Yes is agood idea,but today i,ve solved the trouble with a nut ring and little lever help.I ,ve taken a ring with a hole,in the same measure than the plug neck,i,ve cut a part of it and put it around the plug neck.I ,ve pulled it while i unscrew it with a wrench.It has came out soon.
    Thanks for all the ideas.Jorge.