Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuild 10 bolt or replace it ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RacerHead, Aug 25, 2002.

1. RacerHead

RacerHead Registered Member

I hate those DAMN 10 bolts pieces of sh*t /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ! Do I rebulid the 10 bolts Diffs or buy a 3/4 dana 44 , 14 bolt FF out of a 86 Suburban, they are $325 a piece. Will the 3/4 tons stuff bolt up to my truck 82 Jimmy 6.2 ? This a daily driver about 120 miles a day, I tow with this also.
    Thanks,

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Throw in a 12-bolt if you are a city slicker like me. 14-bolt/44 if you're gonna get with it. What gearing does that setup you are looking at have?

3. RacerHead

Its the front that I need to replace. I sheard both outer axles, The guy i bought it drove it though creeks on his ranch.He also never did any maintance on the thing either both front hub where rusted on, that why the axle broke(i think).It $250 for the outer axles, another $50 for seals and bearings. The gearing i have is 3.07, the 3/4ton axle have 3.73 or 4.10 he has both sets

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I hate to tell you this, but a 86 burb will have a 10 bolt up front. Not only that, but a dana 44 isnt any stonger than a 10 bolt. They use the same axle u-joints

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

3.73s would probably be your best bet if you run those 33s you have in your sig. If you step up up to 35s, than 4.10. I say 3.73 because you drive alot of miles everyday and is what I'd chose with a non overdrive transmission.

6. RacerHead

DesertDueler What do you recommend i do ? he told me it was a Dana 44, i have not seen it yet. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I'm thinking it was the lack of maintence that drove your 10 bolt to the ground.I have had no problem w/ my 3/4 ton 10 bolt up front.The price sounds a little steep for the set of 3/4 ton diffs.Look around some more,I see that you are running 33" tires.might be cheaper just to replace the front diff with another with the same gears.All depends on what you are planning to do to your truck.3/4 ton diffs might be an overkill,along with alot more $ to be spent.Dan is right about the diffs(10 bolt&Dana44)...same strength.Give us a plan on what you want to do in the future...might be a good time to swap out your diffs,or not.Mike

8. RacerHead

BLUESMAN : I am running 31 tires (diffrent truck) This a street driven truck 95% of the time. I may take it off road 1 time in 6 months. I can replace the parts in the front for about $300. I just figured for $25 more I could have a whole 3/4 ton alxe

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You don't need to waste $250 for outer stub shafts. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I have complete shafts, both long and short, with the stub shafts still on them. I have 4 pairs of long and short. All are the 10 bolt front shafts.

I sell a long and short shaft, both with the stubs on them, for $50 a pair. I won't guarantee the u-joint is good or not, as you be the judge of that if you buy some. U-joints should not run you more than $25 for a pair of them. So, $75 for a pair of shafts and 2 new u-joints is still cheaper than paying $250 just for the 2 stubs. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, you would need to pay the shipping cost. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Let me know if you are interested. The shafts I have are in great shape.

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Yeah, I would just replace the broken parts.Alot cheaper that way.Mike

11. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

screw that, go get a 14ff and slam it in, way cheaper, can get it for like 75-125.00....