Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuild a NP208 myself and other ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Rebuild a NP208 myself and other ?\'s

Well I checked my shift linkage. Everything seems to be normal. So I'm guessing the bushings are bad and thats why it won't stay in 4hi. My question, could I rebuild the tcase myself? I'm an ok backyard mechanic and my dad and uncle are alot better than me. I'm not planning on doing anything special to the Tcase, no changing the gearing or anything. Just wanna know if I can buy a kit or something with all the bushings and whatever I'd need to rebuild it.

On a side note, I've got a 305 V8. There isn't really anything wrong with it so I can't justfy a 350 swap. What can I do to a 305? I'm assuming they can be bored out? How big can they be bored over? I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to boring/stroking/blah blah What about a new cam/exhaust manifold/carb/headers/exhaust? Would doing a rebuild on the engine be worth it? I'm not planning to go with huge tires on this thing. And most of my driving is on the street. I'm more looking for a way to bump the ponies up a bit so I can get some passing power and a bit better off road umph. I never tow anything so thats not an issue. Thanks for any tips on the engine or the Tcase

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Re: Rebuild a NP208 myself and other ?\'s

When I rebuilt mine I went to tranny supply shop. They sold me a bearing kit which included a bearings, thrust washers, a new chain,and gaskets (I think). I had to buy the hard parts seperate. They weren't cheap, but not too much either. When I took the two case halves apart I wasn't holding the output shaft very well and I dropped about 30,000 needle bearings on the ground! So be careful! When I put it back together I greased the output shaft and then froze it. It helps the needle bearings stay on when you slide it all back together. I copied some pages from a manual at the library. It gave some details and some specs. It wasn't too bad to do. If you have a video camera tape the takeapart and go from there. Good Luck.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Re: Rebuild a NP208 myself and other ?\'s

In all the places I've seen, the price of the rebuild kit for a 305 is higher than a 350 kit. Maybe it's not that great difference (depending where you buy your stuff), but it can justify the purchase of a junkyard 350 to rebuild. And of course, you can get more ponies out of a 350. If you go from a tired 305 to a freshly rebuild 350, you'll feel a HUGE difference.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]