Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuild axle price

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigcat44, Mar 1, 2005.

1. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

Just spoke to Desert Rat today (we have one locally) and to rebuild my stock 10blt 3.73 axles I am looking at just under 1700.00. Included in this are re-gearing to 4.10s both frt and rear, new carrier for the rear, Detroit full locker in the rear, along with everything and labor oh and tax. Does this pricing sound reasonable? I am finding lots of axles here in the FS section that are a lot cheaper but I am not close to any of them! Any recommendations?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't sound too outrageous to me. Labor is typically hundreds of dollar per axle alone, so two axles, plus all the parts, probably not outrageous.

Now, since $1700 would buy a new crate motor, *I* think that's outrageous. :)

I would suspect a swap to 3/4 ton gear could be done a LOT cheaper, and 4.10's should be much easier to find that way. I certainly wouldn't spend $1700 on a set of 10 bolts. They may work for you based on your usage, and nothing wrong with that, but for $1700 I might deal with the "hassle" of going with 8 lug wheels if that was your only hold up.

3. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

You could easily get 1-ton axles shipped to you by Forward Air or something similar for that kind of money.

4. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Dana 60 and GM 14 Bolt FF.............ditch the ten bolts. If you have that kinda money and are wanting to get tires in the range of 35+ sometime in the future or plan to wheel it some what heavily then you would be much better off spending the money to upgrade the axles.

5. bigcat44

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You would need to move the spring perches...pretty simple, and the shock mounts..pretty simple on the rear axle. You will also need a conversion u-joint ~$25. The front is a direct bolt in. 8 lug wheels and you are set:D

7. bigcat44

Hmmmm?? decisions decisions!!

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

You can find a set of 1ton axles ready to run for less than 1700, you just hafta look. At the most you might hafta replace seals and brakes, big deal...the payoff is is so worth it!

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am not sure why you would need a new carrier for the rear axle, a Detroit locker is a full carrier locker that replaces the stock carrier or govlock carrier.

If you want stronger axles then upgrade. If you don't need stronger axles then 1/2 tons and want a locker and some gears that sounds like a good price to me.

Harley

10. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I were you and wanted 10bolts. I'd buy these http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129871 and make a road trip or have them shipped. Thats half price of what you were quoted and you'll still have your old ones for spare shafts and parts. Also, just from my experience you can find complete trucks with 3/4 or 1 ton axles for $1500 to $2500. Then you'll have extra everything....motor, tranny, tcase, driveshafts, sheet metal, interior. <--- I've always liked this option.