Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuild kit? tools? for d60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Apr 26, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey gang, i just got a crusty old D60 and am gonna start workin on it soon. I assume that it needs some rebuilding done. I know its a noob question, but do they make rebuild kits for axles and if so, what do they include and how much (about) do they go for? The gears/locker, hubs, and steering stuff is all gonna get replaced during the buildup... if it matters.

I have already DL'ed and printed the Dana60 manual.. can't wait to start workin on this beast. Any special tools that I'll definitely have to have? I'm not gonna install the gears/lockers myself... but I'd like to be able to do everything else.

J

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i know you'll need a hub socket or some call it spindle socket. i just got a crusty 60 and i was having a hard time finding the proper hub socket some 60's come with a 6 slot hub nut and others like mine come with a 4 slot hub nut some make sure you know what ya got. and don't buy one for a 1/2 ton axle cause they don't fit.

3. jekbrown

good tip b74! Anyone else? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You will probably need a seal puller for the inner seals. If you were going to do the gear install yourself a case spreader comes in handy. Removing and installing the carrier multiple time is no fun without the spreader.

5. jekbrown

yeah, no carrier removal for me.. I'm gonna leave gear/detroit install up to a real pro. The detroit especially is spendy enough that if it breaks, I wanna be able to get it fixed for free by the guy that screwed up. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

No ones said anything about the axle rebuild kit... do these things exist or not? Seems like dang near every other major component on a rig has one... but I'm a noob so I dunno. If they don't, what are some common parts that might need replacing? Like I said before, the gears/locker as well as the hubs and steering stuff is going to be replaced/upgraded. Are there any other parts that would be looked at or replaced in a axle rebuild?

J

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I’ve basically been through mine from one end to the other in the last week or so.

Mostly you just need an assortment of sockets, wrenches, pry bars, hammers, punches/drifts/chisels, etc. Not many really special tools required. One is the hub socket mentioned earlier. Yes, there are 2 types so check before you buy. And there is a monster 7/8 hex driver (large allen wrench socket) required for the king pin which is torqued to 600 ft lbs, so you’ll need a special torque wrench if you replace it. I just did my inner seals without a seal puller. There is a special seal puller made just for those seals (due to closed space). It's a real PIA but, no more often than you will pull those seals, I wouldn't spend the money. There may be a generic that you can get in there but, you’ll have to look around. As for the case spreader, I expected more trouble with mine but, it wasn't really that big a deal. Try it first before spending money, a good rawhide/neoprene/rubber mallet is likely all you will need. If you really want to do the pinion right, you will also need an inch-pound torque wrench to set the preload. I pretty much just winged it.

I'm not sure where to find kits. Basic items to check/replace/pack that I can think of are:

inner seals
    pinion seal
    knuckle joints
    king pins and bushings
    inner spindle seal
    inner spindle bearing
    Hub bearings and races
    Hub inner seal
    Lock-out hub.
    Brake calipers/pads/rotor.

Carrier bearings, pinion bearing, and ring/pinion/spider/drive gears rarely cause problems.

Hope that helps, it’s all I can think of.

7. jekbrown

awesome baddog, thanks a lot of the tips. Next weekend I am gonna start on this thing... oughta be fun. I am not currently an axle guru at all, but hopefully when I am done, I'll have enough understanding that I can do trail repairs and all that good stuff. anyway, thanks again, /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I knew my Snap-On 3/4" drive torque wrench would come in handy for something other than working on my big rig truck.

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

That lock nut socket is availabe thru jcwhitney for $20, gotta order mine this week, I have the 4 slot one too.