Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuild my 350 or buy a running 327?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Iron_Weasel, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

Well the 350 in my 1979 K10 is crankwalking - BAD. I'm talking on the order of 1/2" or so. You can take the inspection plate off the TH-350 with the engine running and watch the crank/torque converter moving forward & backward in a wave pattern. It's really interesting to watch...too bad it runs like crap.
    Anyway, I've got a chance to grab a running 327 out of a Corvette (year unknown) for $300.

Not being too up on old iron like that, I had to do a little digging on the ol' intarweb. I found out that the 327 was made from 1962 to 1968 and ranged in power from 250HP to 360HP depending on the "L" version (L79, L84, etc.). The HP peak is relatively high at 5800RPM while the torque peak is in the middle of the RPM band (360ft. lbs. @ approx. 3400RPM).

Now, on paper, a 300+ HP engine with 350+ foot pounds of torque seems like a good deal. However, there are other issues to deal with.
    Accessories such as power steering pump and alternator - will they bolt to the engine?
    Will the 327 mate to the TH-350 with no problems?
    And the list goes on....

It would be nice from a labor standpoint....remove old 350, drop in new (to me) 327. I could do it at work with the lifts and 3 ton engine hoists and have it done in a day. I find myself turning away from the deal because of the age of the engine and also because the HP & torque peaks are pretty high in the powerband in relation to the truck and its intended purpose.
    I bought it with the intention of making a capable wheeling rig..included in that formula was a recipe for a good amount of torque off idle up to about 2500 - 3000 RPM.
    I'm not planning on mud bogging in the truck when its done, but I'd like it to be able to pass people on the freeway.

Anyway, I have a 64 Thunderbird with a 392 that's rated at 300HP and that thing is a dog. My 93 Subaru will beat the T-Bird in a drag (I know...I raced my wife with her in the Subaru and me in the 'Bird)...but back to the point. I know the HP rating on those older engines is also derived differently than the engine of today. AFAIK, they were rated at "gross" HP at the flywheel with no accessories. So the 327 being rated at, say, 300HP might be closer to 250 when factoring in loss from driving the water pump/fan, alternator, & power steering pump and also factoring parasitic loss from the drivetrain. Then....I get to add in elevation of 5300' above sea level...so the 250 now drops to about 210 or less.

So, good people, try and sell me one way or the other. I have 3 other vehicles besides this truck, so I can afford to let it sit around for a while.

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The 327 with it's 4.000" bore and 3.250" stroke is a rev happy engine that will be equally at home in your truck as it was in the old vettes.
    With a rod ratio of 1.84:1 it's not a big torque machine down low, but get the rpm's up and look out. :yikes:
    If you said you wanted to crawl this truck thru the mud then i would advocate using the 327 but for a DD or grocery getter it will be a riot to drive.

Punch it .030" and you got a 331 cid screamer that's only 19 cid smaller than a 350, I'm not sure on the accessory bolt holes but it will bolt right up to the tranny as any 1st generation SBC engine will.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are going off of paper stats, knock about 20% off for those old gross ratings. That puts you more in line with what they make in "todays" numbers.

327's came in small and large journal, small journals aren't desirable except for collectors. I don't know how large of a factor that really is, it might be like the 2/4 bolt discussions.

Can't say much one way or the other, never driven a 327, but there is no replacement for displacement, golden rule, especially for heavy vehicles. For $300, if you can TRUST the build, then putting it in while rebuilding the 350 for a rainy day (or when the 327 dies) would be a good option.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Everything should bolt right up... a 327 and 350 are exactly the same except for internals. Chevy used the same block for 50 + years.

Power with a 327 should be fine.... like mad dog said its not a 383 by any means but once it gets past 3k it grows horns.

Slap a high stall converter on there if you go for the 327 and you shouldn't have any problems with getting it moving.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a 71 chevy with a 2 barrel 327 in it and loved that engine, and yes all of youe acessories will bolt up, in fact the truck is long gone but the engine is in my garage waiting for a new project....I doubt I'll even rebuild it

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For $300.00 I'd drop the 327 in while I build a 383 stroker. Then I'd build a hot rod with that 327.

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would get the 327 but make sure your alternator and power steering bracket will bolt up I thought the 327 heads(at least corvette) did not have accesory holes in the heads

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

:doah: i was lost in truck engines...forgot about the corvette castings

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

You could drill and tap the bolt holes if they aren't there.......

10. roechambeau

roechambeau Registered Member

i recently dropped in a fresh set of heads off of a vette 327 on my 350. they were a set of double humps w/o accessory bolt holes. all i had too do was use a universal alternator braket set from autozone. i think it ran 20 bucks and it came in chrome. with the long water pump it worked great.

11. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

The small journal engines are those out of the cars and late 60's trucks, the large journal engines came out in grain trucks and such. The large journals don't rev like the small ones. I have a 63 Impala with the 327, stock 300 horse, and right now its around 450 or so. Bored .060 with rull roller, full MSD, .490 intake, .502 exhaust with the double hump heads. The engine is good up to 7,200 RPM, and they are tought to tear up. I love it and if I could find another it would be in my blazer.

12. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

Thanks for all the opinions, guys.

After consideration, I'm 98% sue I'm going to rebuild my 350. However, I think I'm going the 383 route and I'll add some goodies along the way.
    I'm selling my 64 T-Bird, so money for the parts will be there...and labor is free, except the machine work...which won't be too bad.

The 327 would be easy and quick (as far as down time goes), but I don't really want to mess around with a 35+ year old engine.

13. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Yep, yep.......My 383 has a Scat stroker crank, Scat 6" rods, SRP forged inverted-dome pistons (-15cc), Pro-comp 195 aluminum heads with 64cc chambers and 2.05" intakes, .010" deck height, .039" head gasket, .049" piston/head clearance, 9.9:1 CR, 4-bolt main block, balanced and assembled short-block for $1750.oo
    Pro-comp engineering aluminum heads $850.oo
    Total long-block cost $2600.....beat that!

http://www.larrysperformance.com

530 montebello way
    Montebello,Ca
    323-722-8865
    Ask for Jim..... :bow:

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

How are you feeding that bastard?

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you would only need to drill and tap one hole in pass side head for the long pivot bolt for bototm of the alternator

all sbc engines(55 and at last to 96 if not later) are the same old everyday90 degree bellhousing pattern

327 and 350 included lol

along with straight sixes and 4.3L and 305 and 351 v-6's and all the big blocks, and the 3.8L malibu and such RWD engines too.

good luck

16. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

with a spoon..... :haha: