Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuild my th350 myself ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aaron4904, Dec 16, 2005.

1. aaron4904

aaron4904 Newbie

I have a 78 blazer that lost reverse 2nd 3rd, all that works is 1st and park. I havent been able to find a transmission shop to rebuild it for under $700.00 Im a pretty good mechanic and do all of my own work but am I going to bite off more than I can chew with trying to rebuild this tranny? Any help or suggestions please.:confused:

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I rebuilt my first th350 when i was 15 and yes it worked perfectly. I replaced everything that needed replaced(including 1 planetry set) and got new HD converter and a stage 2 shift kit and it cost me about 450 bucks. Ive done two sence thien and also a th400. and im only 19 now. My biggest suggestion is to get one of the hanes tranny overhaul manuals. Step by step pics its like building legos.So yea you could probly handle it. Oh and be patiant with the snap rings!

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

just don't get in a hurry, clutch packs gota be just right!

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

aaron, Haynes' book is probably good, but be sure to get the TH350 book by Ron Sessions, pub by HPBooks, ISBN 0-89586-051-1. I used the TCI master rebuild kit, I have select 1,2,3 & auto. I put in the HURST Promatic 2 floor shift. I used to drag my tranny, til I got the Burb and put it in there. Doesn't get any better than that.

5. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

:haha: Wazup! i had my T-350 rebuilt @ Canby Transmissions in good ol' Canby Oregon. I did the R&R and took the tranny to them,and the cost with a Stage-2 Shift kit was $325.:laugh: The tranny works great and shifts real firm!:rolleyes: Damn I almost got A WOODY just thinkin' about it! :eek1: Anyhow you should be able to get er' done for $300-350 I would think. :D Just keep lookin' or bring er' on down to Canby eh? :haha: :haha: Good luck! and :bow: MERRY CHRISTMAS!:bow:

6. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my th400 last year shes still working fine and shifting strong i put a stage two ****ft kit from transgo it ****s a lil hard for a DD but i dont mind cus it dosent slip at all when shifting. I thought that it was perty easy to do i think autos are easery that manuals but like said get the Hanes book it helps alot step by step ull be happy with ur trani and i only ended up paying 300 for mine when i was done

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Ron Sessions "wrote-the-book" on TH400 also. Yea, if you've got abajillion HP and 4' tall tires, you might be a TH400-neck. The TH400 has the mainshaft center support brg., TH350 does not.:D