Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuild of blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Jan 31, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

i am completely rebuilding my 86 k-5. There are a few questions on parts and where to get them. First of all, what kinda of tranny should i run with a crate 350? Also what kind of transfer case? Where can i get these parts thanks

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what tranny is in it now? if you want a auto tranny i would go with a th400 or th350 if you want a manual go with the sm465 as far as t_case i would get a np205

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Tranny choice depends on you...........it has (I assume [​IMG]) a 700R4 overdrive in it now if it is automatic. Good to keep if it is in good shape. Lots of posts over the months about reliability of them. But if you can get a properly rebuilt one I would stay with it. Down the road it can be a real benefit on two fronts - a lower first gear (think it is 3.06 vs. 2.70 in a T350) and more importantly the overdrive feature. Let's say you want to run 33 inch tires in the future. You could put 4.56 gears in that thing and run along at 70mph at 2264 rpm. Best of both worlds, low end grunt and freeway rpms low.

Likewise with your transfer case......depends on your needs and future use of the truck. Mudhog's recommendation of an NP205 is solid............if you want to spend the money on the conversion and need a super strong brute tcase. Otherwise your NP241 or 208 is probably OK if you are not wheeling too hard.

Hope this helps a little.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>